S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a kicker CVR 10" sub installed in my s10 single cab with a kicker 75.2 amp...I had tint done to so I cant roll my windows down for like a week... When im parked and I open just 1 door the bass is like OMG so deep and nice.... but when I close the door and start driving the bass sounds like shit almost like the sub is blown....will it sound better when I have the windows rolled down or whats the deal?

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
Yep it will sound better. Its easier for the sub to move air when the windows are down or the door open.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weird thing is that when 1 door is open and the other is closed it sounds good but if you open both doors it sounds like shit? how can I fix this? I was told maybe to get some kind of cotton filling to fill the box? some kind of airspace problem.. SOMEONE plz eheheheh.. im desperate

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
the cotton that dude was talkin about is called polyfill, u can get it at like walmart or something..i think it's to make the sound waves move slower and it tricks the subs in to thinking it's in bigger box (for sealed enclosures).
some people put them in ported enclosures too..same thing with with allowing the sound waves to move slower...
wut kind of enclosure u got?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not sure its just a single 10" sealed box....came with a package deal I got from my local audio place...

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
There's not much you can do to fix the window/door/bass problem. A lot of it is caused by cancelation, the soundwaves are allowed to bounce off the windows and door and as they reflect back they cancel each other out. The best way I found to defeat it is with sub placement. In my old fullsize my bass was MUCH louder with the windows up after I made a box so that my subs were tucked as far to the passenger's side as possible. With it like that there was hardly a difference between up and down. I haven't experimented much with this truck, so I don't know where the sweet spot it. I know it's not in the middle (like my sub is now). Maybe this winter I'll try another new box setup (it'll be #6, I think).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right now I have the sub the farthest it can go to the passenger side.... I guess we will see what it sounds like with windows down...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i guess just move the sub around till I find a nice spot? I mean this is rediculous.. I cant do much to it or I void the warranty... I think I might just take it back in to the audio place and tell them to put it in another box? or try the polyfil or something.. this is rediculous > :

·
Insert catchy saying here
1,311 Posts
You need to check the airspace requirements for the sub....if the box isn't big enough for it then definitely get the polyfill, as that will make up for the lost space. If the space in the box is what the sub needs for the type of box, then dont use the polyfill. Your best bet will probably be to just play with moving the box around until you get the best quality sound from the sub.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it will sound better when I can roll down the windows... I dunno much about these measurments but the sealed box volume for the sub is 0.8-3.0 cubic feet... I just have a single 10" sealed box.. dunno the measurements on it.....

·
Insert catchy saying here
1,311 Posts
That's a pretty wide range spec for the sub..... Like I said, the polyfill is mainly used as a fix for not having the airspace the sub is designed for(say, a sub needing 4 cubic feet of airspace in a truck box in a reg. cab). So as long as your box meets the airspace dimensions the polyfill is gonna do nothing but dampen the sound. The way it works is it slow down the sound waves coming from the sub, tricking the the sound waves into thinking they are travellign farther, and that the box is bigger. So if the box is already big enough, and you throw some of that stuff in with the sub, you are basically putting it in a bigger box, causing the sound to trvel farther in the box and damping it out more before you actually hear it. This may help your problem with the reflections mentioned earlier but I wouldn't go crazy buying the stuff. It is rather inexspensive so it may be worth a shot, but I think your best bet is gonna be changing the position of the box. Just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
when your talking about the position your talking about like in the middle...more to passenger side..drivers side... or like the way the sub is facing? the sub is facing towards the seat right now....I will give all ur tips a shot...

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
He means where it is behind the seat. It will be nearly impossible to defeat the "window's down" phenomenon. My truck is horrible with it right now. Most songs I have enough bass to keep my happy, but when I drop the windows (which I can only do in the garage, we've gotten over 2 feet of snow in the last 3 days here) it gets so much louder it's unbelievable. Unfortunatly it's something you have to somewhat live with in any vehicle, and small pickups seem to suffer from it worse than anything. You can make it better, but you'll never win. Take it from a guy that has owned 5 regular cab pickups and done about 30 regular cab pickup installs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok man.. so u think when I drop my windows it will be better.. I live in texas so I dont have to worry about weather and I usually ride with windows down anyways.. I just got my tint installed so I have not been able to test it out yet... cant wait

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
another thing is that when even my door is open and it sounds like its hitting hard as **** inside the cab from a distance it cant really be heard...btw get on aim adam so its easier to talk...

·
BARELY Tuckin' Tire
5,862 Posts
you can't hear it from a distance because it isn't a real loud sub bro and you've got what maybe 150watts going to it? when y ou roll down your windows you will see a huge difference..much louder..but as far as hearing it from a distance a single comp vr and 150 watts isn't going to do it....

·
Registered
3 Posts
basically whats going on is your pressurizing your cab, open one door ots acting like a bandpass setup, the sealed box, your cab being the ported half, you open both door your port is now too large and air moves to freely to be pressurized, so your sub overflexs i had that problem with my w3, sounded good as long as windows down, up it wasnt as loud. not much you going to do about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts