S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im looking to put more power into my 2000 Xtreme, 4.3L manual. Im weighing the options of supercharger or an LT1. I know how much the LT1 costs and the supercharger costs so much less. But does a supercharged 4.3 even come anywhere close to the LT1 speed wise. And if not if not then can a few upgrades be made to a supercharging to hang with the LT1. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
from what somebody told me is that an lt1 is not a practical engine swap on a '97-00 4.3L vortec equipt trucks. first thing is that installation will involve a lot of work and modification to your engine bay. second you will have to relocate/ costomize accesories (ac, alt...etc) to fit... more$$$. and third, an lt1 is from an older year car than your s10, so you might have some problems with your local smog licensing.

i've been to v8s10.com, and they recomend a vortec 5.7L swap from a 96-00 full size truck. it is alot more practical install. according to them, both the 5.7 and 4.3 engines uses the same motor mount locations, accessories, 95% of the electrical harness, etc. so all you need basically is the engine and computer. and if you see the picture after the install you will never know that there is a v8 in that bay unless you count the spark plugs. coz it even uses the 4.3 intake box.

sc might even be a better option if you have limmited $$$. but personally, i cant affort to pay premium in the gas pump at close to a $1 per liter.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yup Joe is right, a 4.3 is a 5.7 missing 2 cylinders. Lets do the math just for fun.

5.7/4.3 = 350/x

x = 350(4.3/5.7)

x = 264

There ya go, the displacement of the 4.3 is 264, 3/4ths of the 5.7.

So most the parts are interchangeable, the bore is the same, lifters, everything. Ones just bigger, and eats more gas.

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
98ZQ8Sonoma said:
Yup Joe is right, a 4.3 is a 5.7 missing 2 cylinders. Lets do the math just for fun.

5.7/4.3 = 350/x

x = 350(4.3/5.7)

x = 264

There ya go, the displacement of the 4.3 is 264, 3/4ths of the 5.7.

So most the parts are interchangeable, the bore is the same, lifters, everything. Ones just bigger, and eats more gas.
Small correction: 4.3L is 262ci, but still the same design as the 350 block.

Actually one is bigger, the other eats more gas! :D

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
i'm not talking about any 5.7L. i'm talking about 96-00 5.7L from a fullsize truck. heres a pic of the install.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
how did he fit it in there with the fan behind the radiator? I thought you had to buy a custom fan to go infront of it. but i guess if it fits it fits. Maybe they just reccomend moving the fan.

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
98ZQ8Sonoma said:
how did he fit it in there with the fan behind the radiator? I thought you had to buy a custom fan to go infront of it. but i guess if it fits it fits. Maybe they just reccomend moving the fan.
i think he had to move the rad forward a bit. go check out v8s10.com website. i'm also thinking of buying the book. do you guys think its worth it??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts