S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace my tailgate so got one at the junk yard and repainted. After applying clear coat, I got a decent amount of orange peel all around so trying to figure out how to deal with it. I'd appreciate your feedback on how to get rid of that... From my understanding the process is pretty simple, three steps:
1- wet sanding with 1500+ grit
2- apply rubbing compound
3- apply polishing compound

Does that sound like a good plan?

Can I apply the compounds by hand, maybe with a microfiber towel? Seems that someone without any experience like me would have better control by doing this manually rather than with a polisher.

Any feedbacks/recommendations are highly appreciated!

Thks

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
467 Posts
You can definitely do it by hand if you wanted to, it’ll take forever but it’s possible. Get a cheapo Harbor Freight polisher with a decent wool pad and knock it out in a few minutes

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
since you already painted it, and have the abilities, you can sand it with 800 and do a flow coat, as the industry likes to call it now. Basically ano0ther 3 coats over your sanded clearcoat.
this will make it lay nice and flat. Then you can sand with 1000, 1200, 1500 and buff it out. it'll probably be flatter/smoother then stock at that point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts