S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Broken Handed Superman
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i moved into a new apartment here in philly so that i would be out of the ghetto.. my old place was getting bad and i was sick of replacing windows in my blazer. So i moved into a new place owned by Drexel University(its a subsidiary of it) So everything's fine for the first few weeeks then a few weeks ago(during finals week might i add) a leak apeared on my cieling. I called them up and a <insert explicative> union worker showed up and was like oh i was working on the plumbing in the room above you it should stop.. excuse me should stop? ok whatever, put down a pot and head to bed.. drip drip drip all night.. next morning still didnt stop, call up the management office and the woman takes my info and says someone will be there.. this is about 10am. by 3pm no ones been there... so i call again. this time someone shows in like 5 minutes. guys pretty cool and ehs like look, its almost time for me to head home im not about to rip into this now, we'll take care of it tomorrow morning. ok fine understandable.. theres nothing being damage at my place so i didnt care. So at this point im done with finals and am heading back up north to get surgery on my arm. i told them that i wouldnt be there for a week and that i expected it to be fixed when i get back, no problem they say. so i come back a few days later once i could drive again and notice my ceiling has been fixed.. but they let it go for so long the walls are destroyed, the paint has bubbled the ceiling was left with just dryway and tape and my carpet is all destroyed from the water. One of the union guys is like yea we still have to paint and clean, we'll be back tomorrow and itll take like 2 days, which is what i expected.. this was 3 weeks ago. So they still havent come, i've called twice allready each time i get "i'll get back to you" from the building manager. My apt looks like shit because of all the stains in the walls and whatnot and i dont want to bring in the rest of my furniture until they finish it. I'm gonna call again today and raise hell but i want to hold back my rent. I know i'll prolly have to put it in an escrow account so that they know i have the money but what legal ways do i have to fight this asshole company who isnt doing shit?

-Mike

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
call the local better business bureu, or the health inspector. they will take care of it!

cause i know that water is making mold and since they are not taking care of it you are at a health risk!

·
Captain Obvious
19,352 Posts
I wouldn't hold the rent for more than 30 days, or else they have grounds to send you to collections; it'd be more than a headache to fight all of that off.

But yeah, go ahead and threaten to not pay rent until it's fixed.

·
Broken Handed Superman
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i called the building manager today and threatened to hold the rent and he was being a huge asshole.. i was like look sir, you can brush me off but i will be calling you every day multiple times a day and hes like "i'll look forward to your calls" i couldnt ****en beleive it! thats such a prick thing to say.. If they dont come and fix it, i will be submitting an article for the school newspaper to give them a bad rep

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
i would turn him in to the better business bereau, or the health department.

i am telling you they will take care of it!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
My old landlord was a lazy ass. I would tell him something was wrong and he wouldnt fix it. I just started not caring and fvckin shit up. I went half a summer with no a/c (and that sucks ass when its in the 90's with the hot ass humidy)! He kept tryin to do an easy cheap fix instead of payin $800-1000 dollars to fix it right. He was having my dad refil the a/c because it had a leak and would be blowin hot air in a week. So when i told him i was movin out, his bitch wife tried tellin me i had to pay for this and that. I told her **** no i aint payin shit...you never fixed what was wrong and you never payed my dad for fillin the a/c with freon 7+ times. Freon is like $15 or more a pound of freon, and she was complainin about some cheap $5 blinds. So after tellin her that she continued to tell me we had to pay it, but once she told her husband what i said they said they would just call it even. They still have the shitty $5 blinds up and had to deal with a bad infestation of fleas from my cats. :D

·
32,797 Posts
See, if you had some illegal Mexicans doing the work, it would have been done and fixed that day.
But yah for the union guys!!

·
Broken Handed Superman
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i guess threatening to hold back rent got something actually done... i got woken up at 830 by a worker coming to mud up the ceiling and some of the walls... the only thing i have is i know they are half assing the work(my father used to do home remodelling so i know what good work looks like) and i was like are you going to do this and that and he was like well my work order was for this only so im not touch that its like dude.. theres water damage all to my window sill... why would u not fix that while u fix my walls and ceiling! i guess i can live with the sills being damage but i'll prolly just take care of that... now to see if they'll actually come back to paint...

·
forum idiot
49,646 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I don't know about New jersey, but I work at a Property Management business here in California, and sometimes certain maintenence issues last a little while because the owners are cheap and we have to find cheap labor, you try to be nice as long as you can, but sometimes being harrassed by a tenant can get to you and you do become an asshat. But as for what you have, if your contract is month to month, give a 30day and get out and find a better place if your not happy. if your in a year contract here, or lease, then you can still give a 30 day if there has been a breach in contract and get out. but if there isn't a breach in contract then you can still give a 30 day to get out, but you are liable for the rent untill they find somebody to fill your rental, unless you both agree to disagree and the owner/manager and yourself agree to disolve the contract. As for holding rent, that will only hurt you. Here in California we can serve a notice after missing the payment date, called a 3 day notice in which you have 3 days to pay or quit. This means that after 3 days we can start an eviction process and take you to small claims in which if you are evicted it will go on your public record and good luck renting from a management firm again, or getting a loan. The responsible things for the tenant to do, is pay rent and give a 30day, or give the landlord reasonable time to fix the problem and then contact a lawryer. We had an owner here that didn't fix a leaky roof problem and the tenant brought a lawsuit that the leaky roof caused mold to grow which in turn they got sick for and the owners insurance company settled for $250,000. So those are your options in California, shouldn't be to different in New Jersey. Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts