S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st off i am a complete newby to any kind of mechanic work besides changing a tire or battery etc....thats my knowledge of this stuff...i learned all my knowledge from you guys here and my haynes teardown manual...

I am doing the front only to start with..i have jasons front cups and shock relocators..have a 5 gallon tank viair 450c, 4 SMC 3/8 valves for hittin sides,1/2 lines, 2500 stones...

I started at 10:00 today....had the driver side comepletely broken down by 11:15...getting the coils out was fun...to be extra safe i got an old seat belt and doubled it twice through the lower control arm and the coil spring...then i raised the jack to take the pressure off the lower ball joint....then slowly i lowered the jack and voila the spring didnt have any recoil...came out nice and safe....

went to lunch and came back at 12:30....then i hung the brake calliper and abs shield up out of the way with zip ties....12:45 i had the sawzall in hand....made a clean cut about 3/4" above the lip all the way around the front.....the rear side closests to the motor i used my angle grinder and carefully cut the back side lip around....took me about an hour....took a break and started back at 2:00...changed the disc on the grinder for a thicker disc and cleaned up all the grinds to prevent jagged spots....test fitted the bag(firestone 2500)..i have at the least in some areas 1.25" around and almost 1.5" in the front...more than enough clearance....the i sprayed some bedliner paint on the exposed frame to clean it up better and to prevent rust....3:00 i took jasons upper cup to the vice and drilled me out a big hole for the line to come out the side...painted the upper cup with the bedliner paint...4:00 went back to make sure it all was dry...it was so i then installed the front bag..bolted it up and thats where i had the leave...the bag has no air in it but i have a floor jack under ther lower arm to keep it from stressing the bag....

Here is my question....when i get the tire and the rest of the driver side put back together should i drop the truck all the way to the ground without air in it or should i air it up with the jack under it.....im really not sure about this when you air it up for the 1st time....by the way last month i installed the tank, valves, compressor...i went ahead then and ran the air line in the frame up to the coils......

Sorry i dont have any pics..the camera is still at best buy for repair....again i think i did ok since i have never tackled anything like this in my life...i took my time to make sure everything was perfect or close to it...and SAFETY was another one of my main concerns....putting it back together will be a breeze tom....ill keep you all posted tomorrow.....

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
Are you ditchin your sway bar? I left both wheels off and blocked it up to hold it up til I got both sides completely apart so I couldnt remove the sway bar easily etc etc. Then I put both wheels on and took the blocks out from under it.

·
DROPTLO
526 Posts
nice

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i only tackled the driver side today...the sway is completey off on both sides laying on the floor across the shop....i did watch i guy put on my belltech spindles is how a learned how to break the ball loose....so just go ahead and drop the driver side comeplelty on the ground when i put the wheel back on and air it up???? then i guess i will put it back on stands and tackel the passenger side wed....should go faster since i have a better idea of what im doing....

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
If I were you, I'd leave the whole front of the truck in the air. Put the spindle back on and shit, get it all ready to go back on, and when both sides are done, put the wheels on and let it down.

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool thanks man...ill still put something under the bag to prevent stress since it doesnt have any air in it.....

·
Soon to be bagged
128 Posts
i'll be in the same boat as you in a couple months but im installin the spindles the same day i bag :p so yeah and like SLAMnoma95 said thanks for takin step by step but u need some pics yo get dat camera back....lol

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
nice man... sounds alot like mine... only i used a soft wheel on the angle grinder to do the whole area and painted it... did you nitch for your lower control arm? i did everything just in case... federwells are out and inner fender is cut out, and notched frame for lower control arm... you may not have to so dont get worried. i just did it all cause i wanna run 40/r18's up front in the summer and i wanted no headaches about layin out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts