S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my 2 front speakers in my dash, does anyone know the size of them, best place to get them, and is it a direct stick in?

·
SIC-Founder & WA Ch. Head
1,687 Posts
they're 4x6's up front. I don't remember the mounting depth off the top of my head, but most 4x6's should just drop in. As far as where to buy, I can't really help you there. The best way to do it is to go out and audition as many speakers as possible....find what you like and what sounds good to you. Hit as many local shops as you can...listen to as wide a variety of speakers from as many different companies as possible. Also remeber that it will sound different in a sound booth than it will in your truck. If you can find a good deal at a shop, go for it. Other wise find the speakers you like, and check out some reputable online dealers, like www.sounddomain.com or the zeb . They can usually get you better prices than a shop. Hope that helps a bit

·
Registered
208 Posts
As far as diameter, a 4x6 will just drop in. However, it's extremely shallow. To get me until I put my real speakers in, I tried dropping in some crossfire cheapy 4x6's....too deep.

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so what should i use that will put out good sound with the stock system and dont need a amp

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
instead of using 4X6, i just used 4"....they are 2 way and can handle just as much as the 4X6....lil cheaper and aren't as deep

·
Registered
5 Posts
also try plate speakers- infinity makes a decent set and there a direct drop in - double check on the mounting depth-www.sounddomain.com- will tell u if they work

·
1,687 Posts
Yeah, I completely forgot about the depth req's in the 2nd gens...I'm so used to the cavernous holes in the dash of my '85. Like the other guys said, plate speakers are usually a bit more shallow, a pretty good choice for your app. I've heard the infinities...nice smooth response...usually pretty well priced too

·
/=||=/
589 Posts
New dashes are shallow. Stuck with it too since on the driver-side you can't cut any deeper since that is where the wiring parts begin.

The best bet for high end dash is getting a 2 channel clean amp and running these dash speakers:
BA RX746

Those are very nice to 'fill' the front stage. Depends how crazy you wanna go of course.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Kalgor said:
New dashes are shallow. Stuck with it too since on the driver-side you can't cut any deeper since that is where the wiring parts begin.

The best bet for high end dash is getting a 2 channel clean amp and running these dash speakers:
BA RX746

Those are very nice to 'fill' the front stage. Depends how crazy you wanna go of course.
I like the infinitiy plate over the BA's but the BAs are damn good choice too

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
hey fast98ss350, if you are interested i have some eclipse 4x6 speakers. i got them for i think like 100 or 110. ill let ya have them for 60 plus shipping. im not too firm on that price. these speakers are pretty damn good.:thumbup:

·
Registered
473 Posts
A little bit better idea to try is forget the dash speakers and get a component set. I replaced the door speakers and mounted a set of tweeters on the lower part of the Apillar. Easy and sounds alot better than the dash speaker. Some companies have a pod for that pillar location like Lanzar and ESX. This is about the same price as the other way too.

·
/=||=/
589 Posts
sicky00 said:
A little bit better idea to try is forget the dash speakers and get a component set. I replaced the door speakers and mounted a set of tweeters on the lower part of the Apillar. Easy and sounds alot better than the dash speaker. Some companies have a pod for that pillar location like Lanzar and ESX. This is about the same price as the other way too.
The dash is to fill the front stage... I am running BOTH dash and doors. Just put the driver in the stock location and mount the tweeter on the door panel around elbow level tilting slightly up so it screams in your face. That makes a great sound.

Dammit I need to get my pics up soon =)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Kickpanels

Or you can build some kickpanels. It's a ***** with the e-brake, but it can be done, especially if the ebrake is bent a bit. Also, you can fit a 5.25 up on the dash if you build it up a bit.

·
1,687 Posts
I'm with you...

Kicks are probably the best way to go. If you build them right, the sq is amazing compared to dash or door mount. I did hafta bend the ebrake pedal a bit, but not too bad. I ended up pulling out my dash speakers all together. It was loud as hell, but between them and the kicks, the imaging was all buggered up. It's all a matter of opinion, though. Try some differnt stuff out, see what sounds best to you.

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i dont have to worry about dash speakers anymore cuz i have no dash and no truck lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
as a circuit city installer I will tell you that the infinity plates sound ok, but they do not directly fit. the only way to get them to fit, as well as several other brands, is to take the grille to a bench grinder, or whatever, and remove the oval and legs from the underside.

Ok, so I dont know what to call them. If u have the grille in ur hand and u flip it over, there is an oval shaped nothing there for no reason, I guess to outline the shape of a 4 x 6. U need to grind this as far down as possible as well as the 2 little legs that the 2 screws go into to. Only grind down the skinnier part of each leg though, for if u grind them completely off the screws u put back in wont have a surface to grab onto.

Do a dry fit of them to see which side the tweeter will face, cuz if u dont get the plates and just buy the 4 x 6 coaxial, ur dumb.

U may need to cut some of the plate area off to get the grille to sit in its original positon and not bulge up.

sounds like a lot of work but its not.

I would recommend the Boston 4 x 6 plates because Boston is just the shizznit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts