S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn on my headlights at high beam or low beam, my guages, dash lights and radio shut down.

This is intermitent, sometimes it will function correctly for the duration of that trip down the road.

I just went to the wrecker, got a replacement headlight switch and dash dimmer. Popped it in right there, it worked.

Got home....... no ticky.

Sometimes if I turn the headlights on, and the dimmer to the interior cabin light position, I can get the stuff to activate again.

The headlights on buzzer is now volume controled by the rheostat of the dimmer switch. It gets louder when spun to the right. no shit.

any ideas?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Definitely sounds like a shorted wire somewhere......Or a loose connection.....gonna be a bitch to diagnose :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wires are in 100%, switch can't be bad, cause I replaced it with new (new used) popped it in at the wrecking yard and presto it worked. But not now (1 day later)

When my high beams are on, the dash light shows low beam and visa versa. When my lights are on, both turn signal lights are solid, but they flash when the time comes to make a turn.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But I replaced the switch.

Yes it was with a used one, but what are the odds? Especially when it worked in my truck before I left the wrecking yard.

·
potholes SUCK!!!
173 Posts
ive got the same problem....tried several switches...no luck. its gotta be a ground somewhere. and it'll be a bitch to track down.

·
Low Standards Motorsports
461 Posts
Holy crap.. I just had this same problem today.

What a great thing to happen while I'm trying to sell a truck.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
i also had that problem ....i spent more days on my knees looking for the wire than a cheap hooker....i finally realized my truck is a real big POS and i pulled my fuse for my interior lights hasn't seemed to happened much after that -----but i also had a problem with my alt. the metal intake would fall on it when i was driving around ---so it would short out my alt. not sure if this helps anyone

·
potholes SUCK!!!
173 Posts
rodknock said:
i also had that problem ....i spent more days on my knees looking for the wire than a cheap hooker....i finally realized my truck is a real big POS and i pulled my fuse for my interior lights hasn't seemed to happened much after that -----but i also had a problem with my alt. the metal intake would fall on it when i was driving around ---so it would short out my alt. not sure if this helps anyone

it started in my truck when i changed the altenator. when i was tightening the nut on the power wire post i banged the wrench on the intake. the sparks were pretty cool....but that is when the problem started.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This same thing happended to me i had just finished changeing my clutch and tranny. It was about 10 and half way home i notice there's a car following close behinds me well a few minutes later the car decided to turn those pretty blue and red lights on. To make a long story short i got a fix it ticket for no tail lights. Me and my dad spent 3 days on it well he had to go back to work so i kept on messing with it, i was hanging onto a wire coming from the tail lights and leaned my hand on the bumper and got zapped and all my tail lights lit up and than i touched the wire to the bumper and they stayed lit. So it ended up being a ground. And more than likely thats what your problem is cause i did the same and replaced the switch and nothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts