S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I recently swapped out the radio in my '03 S-10. I didn't use a wiring kit, so I had to splice into the radio wires. The radio is in and it works great.

But, I have no dash lights anymore. My instrument gauages and heater controls don't light up at all. I've checked the fuses, and they are all good.

Where do I go from here with troubleshooting this?

Any help, greatly appreciated.

·
Mecha-Shiva
1,260 Posts
beck_bail said:
Hey,

I recently swapped out the radio in my '03 S-10. I didn't use a wiring kit, so I had to splice into the radio wires. The radio is in and it works great.

But, I have no dash lights anymore. My instrument gauages and heater controls don't light up at all. I've checked the fuses, and they are all good.

Where do I go from here with troubleshooting this?

Any help, greatly appreciated.
if i am correct, and i hope i am, there are two wires left over,

one of the wires goes from the dimmer in the cab to all the interior lights, there all on one circut. so find the two loose wires, and connect them to compleet the circut.

your new radio provides its own light and dosent have a place to plug in these wires.

find a diagram so u knwo what color is what, and jsut compleet the circut theat connects all the lights to the dimmer.

EDIT: be prepaired to dig and really search for these wires. it is a good idea to compleetly remove the radio to get back there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I pulled the radio back out, and I have 4 wires left over, and I can't find a combination of these that will light up my dash? I have 2 black wires, 2 gray wires, and some other one (lt blue w/ yellow stripe I think). Now, if I connect one of the gray ones to the other gray or either black, my fuel and battery guages bottom out. No other combination will do anything?

Does anyone know what wires I'm looking for here???? Help please????

Or better yet, anyone have any ideas where I can find a wiring diagram? I'd order the Chilton or Haynes book now if I was sure it has what I need. Does it?

·
Mecha-Shiva
1,260 Posts
beck_bail said:
Well I pulled the radio back out, and I have 4 wires left over, and I can't find a combination of these that will light up my dash? I have 2 black wires, 2 gray wires, and some other one (lt blue w/ yellow stripe I think). Now, if I connect one of the gray ones to the other gray or either black, my fuel and battery guages bottom out. No other combination will do anything?

Does anyone know what wires I'm looking for here???? Help please????

Or better yet, anyone have any ideas where I can find a wiring diagram? I'd order the Chilton or Haynes book now if I was sure it has what I need. Does it?
i'll look up in my books if itl have what yoyu need.

did u try all compinations of the wires, or just 2 at a time? it might be a 4 wire conection, get a firend, or use some electrical tape to test this.

·
Mecha-Shiva
1,260 Posts
in my 96 haynes manual, it has information and exactly what ud want to know, but the colors dont match.

then again, it is a 96 and urse is the next gen.

haynes has the wireing info u'd need.

bassed on what ive seen, black is to ground, and brown is coming form a switch, ie ur light switch.

i'd try a combination of grey to black, grey to black.
then try switching the grounds(blacks) and see wich one works best.

and get urself a haynes manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts