S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 gmc Sonoma 4x4 and my dash is being aggravating. I've owned it over 5 years. Truck won't actually run right now but i think i need to figure out the dash first. The only instruments that appear to work are the are the volt meter and and while cranking it over the oil pressure gauge goes up. Also the service engine soon light is on but no other lights, even back lighting. It doesn't run right now and I haven't been able to tell if the temp gauge works or not but it's stuck at 210. The fuel gauge is stuck at 1/4 tank even though I emptied it and put a new fuel pump on.

Doing a little research I saw the cruise fuse might be an issue and I tried that earlier with no success. Tomorrow I'll be going back to it to replace all fuses and start taking the dash apart to try and unplug it and plug it back in, it looks like that will make all the needles bounce so I can see if they actually move. Any other ideas of what to be looking for. lemme know.

The bcm has a chip that appeared to have exploded a little and I put a used one on from the same year model with the same part number but couldn't verify the options

I had someone try to hook up there scanner and they couldn't get it to communicate, I don't have one but can get one if needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
BCM has to be programmed. Usually a dealer program, VIN specific. Then the Passlock anti theft has to be relearned. Gauges will be random and vehicle will not start without BCM programming. That's minimum to start. The IPC problem is secondary at this point. You need to fix the communication problem, I suspect it is BCM related. What module on the network is down ? What codes did you get from the VCM/PCM ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I've been a little busy with work and such.
I would love to answer your question but I'm unsure of what you're asking me. I haven't had anyone successful hook up to the truck to pull codes. I'm trying to get someone else with a scanner to try this week.

So I should first have a dealership reprogram my new used BCM and that might fix the dash issues?

IPC problem?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This morning I was feeling a little motivated and had a little free time to play with the truck. It hasn't been messed with since our company mechanic started cutting wires in the ignition(doesn't look like he messed anything up, he was attempting to bypass the passlock system to get it to run.)

Good news: I got it to run. (I had been letting the "mechanic" do all of the work so far because he seemed more experienced and knowledgeable than I. Even with the dash only displaying volts and pressure with no lights at all I tried the relearn procedure with the new BCM. It sounded different while trying to crank it afterwards, a little fuel in the air intake and she cranked right up, after a few minutes of throttle play it would idle by itself)

Bad news: the dash still isnt working properly and have noticed no change in any of the the other electrical issues I've been experiencing.

I'll be replacing the driveshaft this weekend and trying to figure out why 80% of the dash doesn't work and what's wrong with the radio. I still need to personally go through all of the fuses to replace anything that may be blown or missing. I should probably find a way to get a scanner myself and try see if it will lead me in a certain direction since I've relied on the "mechanic" who "couldn't get his scanner to connect" and "checked all the fuses" after claiming to have attempted the relearn pattern 5 times.

End lesson: If I want something done, go do it myself.

If anyone has any advice towards adjusting my to-do list to help me get everything sorted feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
W660, send me a private message with your email and I will gladly send you the proper diagrams for your truck. Need the VIN and production date, if possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts