S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 months ago i put a stereo in my blazer and ever since then when i turn the lights on the dash dims. its a 89 with a digital dash and when i try to adjust the brightness with the dimmer, nothing happens. i was thinking maybe the switch was bad, but i wasnt sure, any suggestions?

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
i always thought the dash dimmed for contrast (i.e. not so bright at night) when you turned the lights on.

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
I think maybe it is supposed to do that. I know a lot of cars do something like that. They have displays that are real bright with no lights on, but they dim when you have your lights on so they don't distract you while you are driving in the dark. I don't know why your dimmer doesn't work though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
speedracer26 said:
it is supposed to dim, but it should be adjustable with the dimmer, when i try to brighten it, nothing happens.
your dimmer switch needs replacing..

·
Baby Blue > Joo
709 Posts
Could be the dimmer. OR could be your alt. try shutting ALL the stereo stuff off and playing with the lights. does your dimmer work then? If so it sounds like your system is sucking all the power from your alt. and batt. You can do a quick fix (get a cap) or get a high output alt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts