S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just bought an 97 s10 and i'm putting in my head unit, BUT i can't get the dash panel around the steering column, i know its a newb kinda question but i'm a newb to my s10 so somebody help :racing:

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
did you drop the steering wheel down?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Drop the steering wheel down, turn the truck on (not completely though) make sure your shifter is all the way down into gear 1 (thats assuming you have an auto). Should come off easy.

·
Registered
806 Posts
It would probably help to loosen up the underdash panel, and pull out the 2 7mm bolts that hold the bottom of the dash on also.

·
Registered
211 Posts
really easy....i can take mine off in less than a minute. the possibilities are kinda scary if you think about it. unscrew the two screws about the steering column, tilt the steering wheel down, if you have a floor shifter you're in good luck, if you have a column shifter, you may have to drop it into whatever gear is the lowest(maybe not), start on the outside edges and gently pull outward working your way poping the dash out from the middle too, grab the uppermost part of the pastic that is above the guages and pull that part out first while holding the emergency switch down with your other hand. you will need to hold this down the whole time you're pulling the dash over it cause it's pretty easy to break and very expensive to replace. you just have to work it around a little. once you figure out how to get it off once, you can do it a thousand times faster. i've taken mine out at a stoplight before.....not that you'd need to do that.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
These guys are right. It's ultraeasy once you do it twice. There are two small screws that are concealed by the underdash panel. You have to remove two screws to reveal the underdash panel, which in turn reveals the screws that will let the rest of the dash come off. You have to have the shifting level all the way down in 1st gear if an auto.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts