S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody else have this problem i have a 2001 s-10 and my friend sat down on my gate and he is only about 180 pounds and both of the cables broke and now i have a big crease in my tail gate.
i called the dealer and one of the idiots said that they aren't made to sit on them, then what are the cup holders for that came with the truck from the dealer... they are there for a tailgate party... right?

and they probley will say that you cant get a new tailgate we will fix it. i dont want bondo on my truck.

·
They took our jorbs.
3,797 Posts
Not made to sit on, huh? So what if you need to load some heavy machinery?? What a bunch of asswipes. Theyll replace it once you woop their ass.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Mine broke when hauling my snowmobile last week. There wasn't that much weight on it, just the rear of the track (which I can easily lift myself). After they broke I could see that the housing around them had cracked and the inner cable strands were very rusty. Same thing happened to my old 1/2 ton chevy with 3 guys sitting on the gate at a party.

·
I want you to drag or die
593 Posts
Me and my girlfriend sat on mine and they broke. It creased my tailgate a little and bumped my rollpan down a touch. I just rubbed the scuffs out and left it, because it isn't very noticable. The cables were rusty though, so I replaced them. Now I'm afraid to put any weight on it though. I want to replace them with a solid bar like my 84 had. I trust solid steel better than a quarter inch cable.

·
Captain Obvious
19,352 Posts
If it's under warranty ask to speak with their zone manager, if you make it that far before they give in then just tell him what's up, those guys are all about customer service.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
if you get some good, quality cable, it should work fine, or you could always get some linked chain, like a bike chain, to use.

·
ROD TWISTIN MEMBER
3,808 Posts
Here is a stupid question I have one broke on mine right now how do you replace it do grind off the rivet and bolt on the new one or replace the whole latch:confused:

·
ZR2 member
1,899 Posts
dropped94 said:
Here is a stupid question I have one broke on mine right now how do you replace it do grind off the rivet and bolt on the new one or replace the whole latch:confused:
To do it and get it back like it is.
Remove plasic trim around handle.Unbolt handle from backside of tailgate.Popo rods out of handle assembly.Unbolt latch from whatever side is broken.Pull latch assembly including rod from tailgate.Grind off rivet,toss old cable.Take new cable and rivet(less than a buck at dealer) put them on latch.Lay latch on something solid and beat rivet with a BFH(big f***ing hammer)till rivet is beat down flat.Then put the latch and handle back together.

·
ROD TWISTIN MEMBER
3,808 Posts
Thanks, mine is a little differant since I shaved the handle but I have not bought the new cable yet so I did not know it came with a new rivet

·
ROD TWISTIN MEMBER
3,808 Posts
:thumbup:

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
just keep checkin on them..when that plastic breaks thats whenu have to worry casue the cable ends up rusting therefore causing it to break

1 - 20 of 32 Posts