S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aww shit, i just had to do it. Yup, got another S-series.

I needed a beater since my ZR2 just turned into another "too nice" to tear up, besides 4x4.

so anyways, i have been looking for a while for a new daily, found a few 95s but really wanted a 98+. I never did find one at a decent price that wasnt all tore up and gushing oil everywhere.

Ended up buying this first gen from a co-worker who needed a truck instead of a Jimmy. For $1,300, 180K, digital gauges, leather seats, power windows & mirrors, new tires, shocks, and it has the 4.3 :). Famous last words, it will be a stock beater....but doesnt appear to be that way since i am already making a thread :haha:. probably get a mild 2/3 drop, clean it up, simple cheap mods and just drive it as a daily. at my new job, if it hails while i am at work there is nothing i can do about it. so i need something that will get hailed on and i wouldnt care. so here it is!

First thing i did was find out why the windows dont work besides the driver's side. it has to be guided on the way up and down to prevent binding. with no a/c (compressor needs to be replaced) i better at least have windows!!

Driver's side, simple fix of putting this black clips in the middle vs all on one side which was causing it to catch and bind.

passenger side, unplugged window switch, but also a bad motor too. replaced the motor and the window works. i also used brake cleaner on all the tracks/guides and re-greased them with lithium grease, a very healthy shot of grease.

driver's rear. i hear the motor move a little bit, but stops very shortly and no window movement. pop off the door panel and find that the arm is bent and popped out of the plastic roller. looks like someone pushed down on the window pretty hard. dont think the motor could do this. the window had no bind itself.

I removed it and bent it back with an air hammer and popped the plastic wheel back on and greased it all up, works like a charm.

back passenger window however is a bad motor too. getting power but it barely moves. so i said screw it for now, i will change it another day, at least i have the front 2 windows :haha:

So that is all i accomplished today but i plan on cleaning it up real good. i know the interior needs a good once over with the shop vac and some armor all. paint, since its peeling in spots, i really cant buff it. suppose i can, but not sure. I cant get too crazy with this Jimmy since its SUPPOSE to be a beater/daily (again famous last words). we shall see though :)

·
Maybe later.
9,335 Posts
I'm betting on the 5th page of this thread.

By then, it will look almost new.

·
Electrical Mod
56,117 Posts
It's funny that so far everyone thinks it won't be much of a "beater" by the time Jon has it for a bit. So start placing bets, how long until this think looks/works like new?

I give him two months to get it fixed up and buffed.

·
Sold :'(
7,561 Posts
It's funny that so far everyone thinks it won't be much of a "beater" by the time Jon has it for a bit. So start placing bets, how long until this think looks/works like new?

I give him two months to get it fixed up and buffed.

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe this one will be the yin to his yang. He may end up just Plasti dipping it from top to bottom, then go ball up in his garage and cry into a shammy towel.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
**** you guys :haha:

did 12 hours of work today on it to get it "within spec".
Dusty interior, and lots of grass on the carpet and everywhere.

TIG welded some sheetrock screws to some large washers, then proceeded to fix my arm rest after i got new door panel clips.

sorta hacked, but its fixed. when i go to the salvage yard i will try to find a not as beat up one.

interior cleaning process.

spent a few hours vacuuming in itself. everything is armor all'd now.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THEN!! i washed it.....

I'm betting on the 5th page of this thread.
By then, it will look almost new.
WRONG!!!
took less than a second day owning it. what did i win? :D

i did a little buff test on it, found out the WHOLE blazer was covered with a spray of tar.....which made it take 4 hours to buff it.

pretty good huh.

before/after. left side i just washed it and let it dry. that is how bad its faded. check out the tar below the trim. I may have to plastic-dip it. black/red 2 tone wouldn't look too bad i don't think.

it got dark so i continued to buff it in the garage.

"done" but still needs wax. ideally another go around with the buffer, and i still need to do the roof.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It wasnt washed, it was buffed with my random orbital buffer. 4 hours of work...and still technically not "done".

it does look like i just washed it in that one door pic, but like i said that left side was already washed and scrubbed, still was very dull/faded.

·
layed_sdime
858 Posts
Looking good bean dip

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:cool:

compared to....

like a completely different vehicle now!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts