S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 with 4.3 has cyl3 misfire. Rough idle but plenty of power when given the gas. So where would you guys begin?Plugs or wires or distributer cap?thx guys and gals In advance!!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I had a similar issue but cyl #4, pulled the plug and noticed the plug gap was right at .084" instead of .060" 😳🙄 lightly sanded the electrode reinstalled problem was found, New set of plugs are now in there 🙂

·
Registered
398 Posts
Related to what has been said, check the sparkplug first. The #3 plug is harder to get to because it's behind the steering shaft. I had a used S10 and discovered someone had previously changed the other 5 plugs, but not #3. It was still original after 125,000 miles.

If you do change your plugs and wires, go with OEM (sparkplug: ACDelco 41-993 Iridium, not sure on the wires part #). Rock Auto is a good source for them.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It takes a whole 3 minutes to remove the steering shaft bolt slide the shadt up and over to gain access to that plug🤔

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would start off with

1.) Use a volt meter to check resistance on your wires going from your distributor to your spark plugs

2.) Are your spark plugs dirty or fouled up?
2.1.1) If so is it oil or a injector stuck open
2.1.2) to confirm it's not oil do a cylinder compression test, and wait 10-20m to see if it holds the compression.
2.1.2) Once you covered all topics put all new spark plugs in.

3.) Check distributor for corrosion or just replace it.

*Also a stuck open injector would cause slow shifts or rough shifts. And if you think your spark plug looks black. It may be gross gas. *

1 - 7 of 7 Posts