S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
white guy from lodi
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after ive got the shock out and the spring out would it b alright to just unbolt the upper and lower control arm and remove it all in 1 big unit insted of un doing all the ball joints. :sawzall:

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
First, i dont know how you intend on getting the spring out without either unbolting the lower control arm or removing the spindle.

Personally, I would go ahead and remove the spindle. Dont try to take an easy way out.

·
Body Draggin Member
585 Posts
Yeah dude just go ahead and unblot your spindle, sway bar, tie rod ends, and all that good stuff and drop the LCA down. That should be the easiest way because from there you can just move the UCA/Spindle whichever way you need to to get your work done. And when you get done you don't have to fight with the dang top shock bolt or sway bar or anything of that stupid stuff...putting it back together took me like 5 minutes on each side..I love bags
Chris

·
white guy from lodi
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is there a special tool i need to pop the joint,s back in.

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
The balljoints? You replacing those as well? The uppers are rivited in from the factory. Aftermarket ones bolt in. The lowers are pressed in and must be pressed in as well with the new ones. Autozone lets you rent a balljoint press for $100. It makes it pretty easy. They give you the $100 back when you return it, tho.

·
white guy from lodi
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my bad . i wasent talking about replacing the joint,s them self,s. i was just wanting to know if when i go to put the spindle back on the lower control arm do i just put the castle nut on and hit it with a gun or is there a tool for that . I tried to rent that kit but thay never have it there.

·
rolling them ds
348 Posts
just hit the side of the spindel with a large hammer just make sure u haev the nut loose but not off cuase the spring WILL pop out and u can get hurt then when u put it back togher jsut tighen the spindel back on u should really tourque it but if its tight and the cotter pin hole lines up it should be fine dont use a ball joint fork or pickle fork cause it will tear the ball joint boot
dave

·
white guy from lodi
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shit i all ready bought 2 pickle forks. thanks for all the tips man that is what i neaded to know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts