S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1996 Chevy s10 pickup that stalled while driving & now won’t start back, has done this before but always started right back until now. Was getting a misfire code & replace egr so replaced egr, distributor cap, rotor button, crank sensor, ignition module & now computer but still won’t start. Getting power from distributor to coil but not to plugs. Trying relearn computer procedure now but so far no success ????? I’m stumped - somebody PLEASE HELP

·
Been there Done it
11,181 Posts
What engine and transmission does your truck have?
BTW a mod will likely move this to the correct area since a 96 is not a 1st gen truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What engine and transmission does your truck have?
BTW a mod will likely move this to the correct area since a 96 is not a 1st gen truck.
Idk - just thought I’d try to get some help. Been trying to get it started for a week now. 4.3 automatic

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,611 Posts
If you scroll thru the available forums before posting, you can choose the best forum for your problem.

Moved to 262/4.3

Have you checked fuel pressure yet?
Check the attached link for checking it. Will it start if you spray starter fluid in the throttle body?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you scroll thru the available forums before posting, you can choose the best forum for your problem.

Moved to 262/4.3

Have you checked fuel pressure yet?
Check the attached link for checking it. Will it start if you spray starter fluid in the throttle body?
[/QUOTE

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,611 Posts
What was the pressure key on/engine off? Have you checked for spark at the plugs? Take a peek under the distributor cap and see how things look.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What was the pressure key on/engine off? Have you checked for spark at the plugs? Take a peek under the distributor cap and see how things look.
Yes, good pressure, fire to coil but pulled #1 & saw no arc, new cap & rotor-still nothing

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,611 Posts
You say good pressure...what is the pressure? Were any plugs by the distributor unplugged..maybe accidently? As much detailed as you can provide will help in the diagnosis.

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
567 Posts
If I understand correctly, you have spark at the distributor but not at the plugs? Or did I misunderstand something? If you have spark coming into the distributor but no spark leaving it, remove the distributor cap, crank the engine and see if the rotor turns while the engine is being cranked. It'd be best to unplug the ignition control module (right next to the ignition coil) when doing this so that there are no unwanted stray sparks. You'll need a friend to crank it for you (or use a mirror if you can aim it just right) since the distributor is near impossible to see from inside the truck.

Another possibility would be that the cap isn't seated correctly. Does the distributor cap snug down tight when you put the screws in? The ears that the screws go into are notorious for breaking off, which would cause an issue much like what it sounds like you have.

Reactions: Snowrompin4.3

·
Been there Done it
11,181 Posts
Here's a good how to for a Vortec 6 or 8 that won't start. If you follow it correctly step by step you will figure it out.
If you make assumptions, like for example, the fuel pressure is good w/o actually testing it, then it won't help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I understand correctly, you have spark at the distributor but not at the plugs? Or did I misunderstand something? If you have spark coming into the distributor but no spark leaving it, remove the distributor cap, crank the engine and see if the rotor turns while the engine is being cranked. It'd be best to unplug the ignition control module (right next to the ignition coil) when doing this so that there are no unwanted stray sparks. You'll need a friend to crank it for you (or use a mirror if you can aim it just right) since the distributor is near impossible to see from inside the truck.

Another possibility would be that the cap isn't seated correctly. Does the distributor cap snug down tight when you put the screws in? The ears that the screws go into are notorious for breaking off, which would cause an issue much like what it sounds like you have.
I’ve already checked that, the distributor cap is snug/ the rotor is turning… brand new distributor cap & rotor

·
567 Posts
How did you determine there is no spark at the plugs? Did you use a spark tester or did you pull the wire off the plug and hold it close to something metal? The latter isn't 100% foolproof so use of a spark tester is best. If you truly do have spark at the distributor and not the plugs then you have a very short list of what the problem could be. Might want to double check for spark at the plugs with a spark tester, just to be sure.

·
Been there Done it
11,181 Posts
Well actually she said she had power at the coil. Not anything about spark. Could simply be a bad coil or ICM.
Try cranking it in the dark and see if there are weird sparks or glowing around the coil. I had one go that looked like a Tesla coil with sparks dancing all around it. But not from it.

·
567 Posts
@oldeerslayer What she said was she had "power from distributor to coil but not to plugs". I think I read the distributor to coil part backwards, seeing "...coil to distributor" which led me to believe she had spark at the distributor. Regardless, I asked if I understood the problem correctly because I wasn't convinced that there was spark at the distributor. She didn't say no, but because she also didn't say yes I asked how she determined there was no spark at #1. Lots of people will pull the plug wire and hold it to something metal to check for spark and based on experience I know this is sometimes misleading. If there is spark but the distance from the wire inside the boot to the tip of the boot is too far for the spark to jump, it will appear there is no spark. You've been around cars longer than I have so I'm sure you've seen it. I'm just trying to get the details needed to help her narrow her problem down, same as you ;)

Is that really a failed coil in that pic? I've never seen a coil do anything like that. Pretty awesome lol

·
Been there Done it
11,181 Posts
I have no idea what that is actually a picture of. When mine went out on an S10 years ago I hadn't noticed it, but my daughter said, "Dad is this supposed to like like that?" There were at least a half dozen blue/purple little trails of light crawling all over the coil. Like they said in the Frankenstein movie, "It's alive!". Needless to say I turned the ignition off before touching it. Stuck a spare I had laying around on it and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Years ago my Dad’s 96 S-10 did something similar, but it was intermittent. Turned out to be a bad ground. I think it was towards the back. Not sure if this is at all in the same, but thought I’d add it since no one else talked about a bad ground. Back then it was something that dealerships service departments were told about but I don’t think it was something that garnered a warning to owners.
hope you find the problem soon!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts