S-10 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,312 Posts
I have a 1999 Xtreme I found that it was easier to just drop the tank and replace the fuel pump out of the truck. Plus you can reach in side and wipe out any crud inside and check the green ball for cracks or holes that green ball keeps the fuel stored up, and helps rust from forming.
Fewer chances of breaking the fuel fittings if you either remove or tilt the bead.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Spray the bolts with penetrating oil, then use an Electric impact wrench for the mounting bolts. Unattach the filler pipe from the bed. Lift and support the bed enough for access. Cutting and Welding near the tank is a candidate for the Darwin Award. Good opertunity to control rust with antirust paint. Afterwards you can use the impact wrench for taking off the wheels. Good $50 investment.
7 Amp 1/2 in. Variable Speed Impact Wrench with Rocker Switch

·
Registered
74 Posts
Pretty sure I will be needing a fuel pump soon. My 4.3L s10 is an Xtreme, so there is plenty of corrosion underneath it and it is probably extra work to remove an xtreme's bed (though I cannot confirm it)
My bed floor is not in great shape and will need replacement eventually anyways, so i am entertaining the famed fuel pump hatch cut...
My question is: what do people do with the fuel pump hole after replacing the pump? no one says what they do after the fix. i have seen plenty of chevy trucks rolling around with the hole but i was just thinking that covering it back up would be ideal...

i am thinking of taking the cutout piece and tack-welding a piece on top of it so it cant fall back thru the hole, then just gluing/sealing it back into place... pry it on back up if/when the time comes...

Thanks
Invest in sum Blaster cans . Hose down all fastners the day before and just tilt the bed out of the way. Get a pump kit with a nu lock ring just in case

·
FLORIDA BUTCH
111 Posts
Whenever I'm going to cut or weld near a fuel source, I cover it with a wet towel. I had to cut my fuel line with a cut-off wheel, so I stuffed a wet rag in it , past the place I was going to make the cut.

·
time to get cereal
5,615 Posts
Just make sure you huff the gas beforehand.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The previous owner of my s10 cut an access panel. I trimmed it to where it was atleast even then my next trip to the boneyard I cut a piece of floor from another bed. Plus the GM bed liner covers all of it nicely lol

·
Registered
1990 gmc sonoma
17 Posts
Being an Xtreme doesn't equate to more rust, and it's no more work to remove it than any other S10 bed. Some guys just cut out a patch from another bed a little bigger than the hole. Closed cell foam for sealing, and Dzus fasteners or screws to attach it.
Can't you do like we do in the south ;remove front 4 bolts on bed loosen back 2 , remove fill neck screws and vent hose and jack up ft of bed?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,312 Posts
Yep...it was mentioned.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I find it interesting that you're worried about messing up the plastic skirts around the bed but willing to cut a hole in the bed! For me the only way to do things is the right way...no taking shortcuts like cutting a hole into the bed to gain access to the fuel pump!

So, pre-lube the bed bolts, in preparation to lifting the body off. Use either saw horses or totally remove the skirts so you can place the bed on the ground. Follow what others have suggested regarding wiring harnesses. Do it the right way!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts