S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size of pipe is the SLP Y-pipe?...Do you think it would be good using 2.5 pipes or should i stick with the 2 1/4?...Please let me know ASAP

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
You have the 4.3L, right? I heard that increasing the exhaust pipes too much will of course decrease backpressure. But if you decrease it too much, you'll loose bottom end torque, but gain top end hp. even thought the engine might be making more hp, it'll feel slower becasue of the less torque.

Also I thought thwe SLP pipe was 2.5"? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Wyotech = October
1,356 Posts
I have to get under my truck, and check it out.. but I think I hit a rock with the Y pipe.. a big mofo'in rock in the middle of a busy road.. Oshkosh rules.. I thought it was a snow pile..

·
Grounded 4 Life
2,158 Posts
Liftedbronco said:
the slp is bigger than the stock. i think its 2.5. regardless, i have it and it was an excellent mod. one of the best
do you have headers too, or just the y-pipe, my pipe is kinda crushed, and want ot get the slp pipe, but i want to get he jba headers too, and have heard that the combo of the too will be to free flowing:dunno:

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
Personally, I think 2.5-2.75" is/would be perfect for our motor.

The 3.8l Series 2 motors perform their best with 2.5", so with our motors being bigger, I dont think smaller is better.......

·
Wyotech = October
1,356 Posts
I would sacrifice some torque for more HP..

·
Grrr
1,575 Posts
baah hp is what makes you accelerate. lol. Torque smokes your tires. A combination of both is what you want.

aaaanyway...i have just the y pipe. unless you get a power adder headers will be stupid. if ur manifolds crack...then get headers.

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
Liftedbronco said:
baah hp is what makes you accelerate. lol. Torque smokes your tires. A combination of both is what you want.

aaaanyway...i have just the y pipe. unless you get a power adder headers will be stupid. if ur manifolds crack...then get headers.
meh....

if tires no spin and get traction, TQ is what gets ya moving. ;):phil:

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Liftedbronco said:
the slp is bigger than the stock. i think its 2.5. regardless, i have it and it was an excellent mod. one of the best
It's 2 1/4" damnit!

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
zYgoTe said:
It's 2 1/4" damnit!
iiiiiii dunno.......i think its 2.5".......

hehe

j/k :D

Damnit, someone needs to go out and use a piece of string, wrap it around the freakin exhaust pipe, then, measure it and then figure out how big it is.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
blacksls00 said:
iiiiiii dunno.......i think its 2.5".......

hehe

j/k :D

Damnit, someone needs to go out and use a piece of string, wrap it around the freakin exhaust pipe, then, measure it and then figure out how big it is.
Heh, I would do that, cuz my truck is on jackstands right now. But I drug the shit out mine, so it's bent to like 2" or less now. :doh:

·
Grounded 4 Life
2,158 Posts
here ya go zygote

Y-Pipe, Larger Diameter 1997 S-Truck Std.Cab, Short Bed, 2WD

SLP’s stainless steel Y-pipe assembly is a direct bolt-on replacement for the production Y-pipe on 1997 Chevy and GMC S-Pickup Trucks equipped with the 4.3 liter V6 engine. These Y-pipes are available for standard and extended cab short-bed Pickup Trucks with 2WD and 4WD with automatic transmission only. This one change can give you up to five additional horsepower. When used with SLP’s catalyst-back exhaust system, up to a 15 horsepower gain is provided.

Legal for Street Use in ALL 50 States
Includes installation instructions
Mandrel bent, .055" wall thickness
2-1/4" O.D., 409 SS tubing
Easy, bolt-on installation
Improved 0-60 MPH performance
Performance guarantee*
Limited Lifetime Warranty*

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
It's 2 1/4, I also have the SLP Y-Pipe, very nice mod.

good work 99 racer, you beat me to it

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called up the SLP and they told me that that they don't have a
pipe for my 2001 truck...that sucks...i guess i'll just have to stick with my stock y-pipe...hey, for you guys that ripped out your cat...did you guys remove the pre-cat too?...If so, I was wondering if you could feel anymore of a difference...I know that the sound will be louder cause when i removed the big cat off the truck, my truck had a v-8 sound...

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
n0sh0b0i said:
I called up the SLP and they told me that that they don't have a
pipe for my 2001 truck...that sucks...i guess i'll just have to stick with my stock y-pipe...hey, for you guys that ripped out your cat...did you guys remove the pre-cat too?...If so, I was wondering if you could feel anymore of a difference...I know that the sound will be louder cause when i removed the big cat off the truck, my truck had a v-8 sound...
Tell SLP to shove it up their ass, cuz this 01 has their pipe on it. It will fit, will just require a bit of modification.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What kind of sawzall:modification will I have to do to make it fit?:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts