S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Mafia Customz
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions i want to paint my 1991 caprice classic with a metallic silver base with silver flake and have it airbrushed with metallic gun metal and gun metal flake and cover it all with brandywine candy. My question is can you airbrush with flake will them colors pop and have a real good glitter in the sun im using the .004 flake or should i just paint it all base no flake airbrush thin spray the whole car with a interchange base with flake will that make the airbrushing not show.

·
Budget Ballin FTS!
3,652 Posts
if i read your question right you want to spray the flake threw the air brush? Dont think that will work poppy but maybe im wrong

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
reading that makes me head hurt...

-IF- i understand what youre saying, youre asking if you can spray metallic through an airbrush? depending on the size of the tip and the size of the flake the answer is sorta yes, but you really shouldnt... airbrushes have very small precision parts in them that can be clogged, worn down or damaged by the flake, causing them to go out of spec

if you have to have the airbrushing done in something other than a solid color, go with a pearl instead of flake, you still shouldnt spray pearl through an airbrush, but its much much easier on the parts being that pearl is so small... and personally i think it looks better than flake any day

but please, rewrite your post... because i dont even know if thats actually what you were talking about

·
Mafia Customz
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im sorry about that guys im just trying to find out if you can airbrush flake.

I also am trying to find out if i do silver base gun metal airbrushing and intercoat flake silver over all of it when i put the brandywine candy over that will you be able to see the airbrushing.

I never see any airbrushing with flake i thought i would ask maybe their is a pro on here with the right answer.

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
I also am trying to find out if i do silver base gun metal airbrushing and intercoat flake silver over all of it when i put the brandywine candy over that will you be able to see the airbrushing.
thats gonna be a pretty muddy combo, if youre gonna do a silver base, then airbrush in a dark grey metallic... then whats the point of the flake in the intercoat? you already have enough metallic on the car

brandywine candy is fairly dark, ive sprayed wild cherry (which is a bit lighter) over a gold base with artwork, and after 5 coats there was a definite difference in the visibility of the art

if i were you, i would skip the flake layer to just go directly to candy

and the reason you dont see much brushing with flake is because of what i already said, it doesnt go through airbrushes very well, and once you get to a size that will flow the flake, you no longer have a brush that can do detail work

·
Mafia Customz
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i want a good glitter to catch the eye and airbrushing to keep the yey on the car i want the silver and gun metal so it will be a ghost style

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
well if you want the art to pop, like i said, dont use a metallic coat over it, just go to candy, the flake will just muddy up and bury what you have down... also, and this should go without saying, but you never know, the use of white to highlight the artwork works really well under candy and really adds depth and pop

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
no no... do the artwork in the grey you want to, but use white to highlight the light source, whoever you have do it should already know that though

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
right... lemme see if i can find some pics of the chopper i did like that

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
found some, should give you an idea

before candy:

candied and cleared:

completely finished and at the show:

·
Mafia Customz
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i would like to get mine alittle darker red thin that what would you say a paint job like that would cost

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
like i said earlier, that was wild cherry, brandywine is going to be darker, and you can control how dark it is by adding more coats

and its not going to be cheap, ill just say that

·
·
6,837 Posts
maverick that bike looks sick nice work

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
thanks, i think it came out pretty good

was for a good cause too, it was auctioned off at the annual bike rally around here and all proceeds went to the local shriners children's hospital

·
Custom Painter
1,873 Posts
didnt u ask this on streetsource?

do a silver or flake base, airbrush with black noooo white highlights, because i hate white over silver ESP. with candy. it gives a funky cast... u dont need highlights with pure black, just lack of shading. simple..

i hate using pearls or metallics to do any kind of artwork. it sucks for detail and its not cool.

example...

last pic is shitty, u get the idea.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I think I had over 1500 in paint material alone with my brandwine. We use solar gold base, Brandywine Kandy and HOK clear. shit was no cheap but smelled like candy you eat when you buff it lol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts