S-10 Forum banner

Custom Ninja

9K views 101 replies 23 participants last post by  Outlawz24 
#1 · (Edited)
So I recently bought an 01' ZX6R and I can't stand the color. Heres what I got done last night. Once I get some time away from hell (work) this will all be going to paint. For color I am going dark cherry red with airbrush graphics on the side. It is going to be sick.

Lots of pics, I plan on taking one every time I do something and then running them as a fast slideshow. Should be cool. Thanks.

See less See more
#5 ·
haha yea good point. I would love to learn airbrushing, but I know my skill in art would probably result in my truck looking just like some of the flat colored/spraypainted ones the mexicans are driving around in my town. My friends uncle does it tho, and I want him to do really subtle true flame on my truck once I paint it yellow, so it's not obvioius from a distance, but looks really detailed up close. know what I mean?

haha, my neighbor has a bike, and I spend a lot of time working on his. He just had me install a halo led light in his air intake, halos for the headlights, and ground effect neons. It looks pretty sweet, but I made sure he wouldn't come after me after he gets pulled over. lol

#9 ·
Looks nice, too bad its a ninja and not a GSXR. :)

Titus
lol, he doesnt wanna be like 90% of the sportbikes out there.

Good call on the Ninja! I liked the orange, maybe with a good clear coat....

I really like the blue that came on the '99 Zx9R, mines silver, ok i guess.

Me, you and Cipherex need to go riding this summer!

Subscribed!

#10 · (Edited)
Okay, heres whare I am at..

My left side fairing had a big chunk taken ouf of the top. I wanted to buy a busted up fairing and cut the piece that I needed off, but the asshead at the salvage yard refused to sell me one an kept trying to talk me into bringing mine in for him to fix. After arguing awhile he said if he sold me one it would cost around 400. Uhhh... no. So I used a piece of similar plastic and went at it. Turned out pretty good.

I used some stuff called "plastic weld". I will try to find a link, obviously it isn't really plastic welding, but a two part epoxy. I was skeptical, but this stuff works awesome. I did the seam and behind, then flexed it pretty hard and no cracks. Just to be sure I went ahead and re-inforced the back with fiberglass.

After doing that and flexing the plastic I began to notice little cracks along the edges where some asshead had used bondo on the front and glass on the back. so I cut out along the cracks, filled it with the plastic weld and again perfect fix. this stuff is awesome, you can even build up with it and sand like bondo, but it stays flexible.

Tonight I hope to finish preping tonight and taking to paint tomorrow or Saturday.

I also got a quote for getting my wheels chromed, 400 bucks and local. Pretty cheap I think, still considering..

#14 · (Edited)
Alright, heres what went down this weekend. I didn't have a lot of time to work on it with having my son, but I got the important stuff out.

All plastics went to paint. I went ahead and had it all done, anything that was plastic is going color. I dropped my stuff off at the paint shop but the place I go to pick and buy paint was closed Saturday. I think I might just call my guy, give him an idea of what I want and let him go at it. It is about a good hour from my work. He's been at it for 30 years, he also painted my truck and my last bike parts so I trust him.

As for powdercoat I had some second thought about color matching with the bike, so I went with a color called "smoked chrome". Really cool color and he clears over it for a high shine. I did the wheels, passenger handles, front cage, passenger and rider footpeg hangers.

BTW thanks to Cruznsten for the great bolt and nut idea, see picture below.

Heres where it sits now. Sorry I had to use my phone camera, my batteries were dead. All naked. The wife says she has no idea how I am going to get it all all back together. Oh so little faith...

Heres the wrench I made, I had to use three nuts. Just find a bolt with a head to match the huge allen bolt head of the axle, then add 2 0r 3 nuts and tighten them against eachother. You can then use a wrench on the nuts and use the head of the bolt as the "allen" head wrench you need. Worked great, I made one for both sides (difference sizes).

Thanks guys, not much to look at now but it is coming together pretty quickly. Let me know what you think.

#15 ·
HOLY SHIT!!!

I just got my paint quote, check this out.

prep and paint: $100
airbrushing: $100 - $150
paint and supplies: $60

So I'm looking at around $400 or so for a complete paint job with huge airbrushed graphics on each side. Ya can't beat that!

I know what your thinking, cheap paint job. Nope, this guy did an immaculate color change on my truck to Yamaha blue and lots of other work here and there.

I'm pretty stoked, I was looking to pay AT LEAST $1500!

#17 ·
So I went to the paint shop and picked my color, heres what I went with, apparantly it is for a 2006 Chevy SSR. I didn't know that until I looked it up this morning.

Red Jewel Tricoat 80/WA301N http://www.cardata.com/spoilers/Car_Paint_Colors/chevy_paint_codes.htm

It doesn't look so great on a cumputer screen, but in real life it is a dark dark red (almost like blood) with a ton of pearl in it. I think it is going to be great.

Also ordered my flush front turns earlier this week, they should be here soon.

Also repainting the frame, but thats about it..

#19 ·
Quick update:

Found out the frame wasn't factory black, is was rattle canned. Discovered this when the gas that ddripped down the side from removing the tank stained.

No pic, but I sanded it all down, cleaned, primered, blacked and clear coated. Looks about the same but much better coating. I also filed down the gas lid and painted it to match, I wish I had taken some before pics of that is was REALLY scratched and looks like new now.

Thats it for now, hopefully my wheels and parts will be out of powdercoating soon before I leave for California...

#20 ·
Not much of an update, things are slow whilst waiting for paint. I sanded, primed, blacked and cleared the frame and swingarm again since the last owner did such a shitty job.

I also got some cleaners out and did up the normal stuff; brake calipers, engine covers, brake rotars.. It all looks new now. Definetely a low mileage bike.

Heres the gas lid I re-surfaced, again I wish I had some before pics it was BAD...

Sorry so slow, but again I'm at a standstill until I get my powdercoating back or the bike is painted. I did recieve my flush front turns today, I am going to hook one up and see how it looks tonight..

#23 · (Edited)
I KNOW! They are already running here, I got passed by an R1 on my way to work this morning and my stomache tightened. I can' twait to get back out there.

Anyway I put the lights back together to try out my new LED turns, they work great. The boards are actually IN the assembly, so there is no need to change any wiring on the bike. Just plug and play, and the blink cycle didn't speed up like they always do.

UPDATE: A few guys have asked so heres a link for that plastic weld system I used. One of the best 5 bucks I ever spent. (Well, 10, I bought 2). I have only been ablw to find it at Autozone..

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip...il/initialR,NONAPP9933/shopping/selectZip.htm

#26 ·
Just got back from getting my wheels, they turned out great. I will post pics in the morning.

Cost a bit more than I was thinking, after quoting the wheels at $125 I threw in the peg hangers and instrument cage. I told him to just let me know how much extra it would be. Well apparantly he needed $75 extra because it all costs me $200. Oh well, he did a good job I will just be sure to have EVERYTHING quoted before I go back to him.

As for the passenger handles (I thought they were aluminum) I dropped them off to the paint guy while I was in town, I suppose I will just have them painted when they do the airbrushing since the silver I want on the design is going to match the wheels anyway.

#29 · (Edited)
Here they are. I am really loving this color, if I didn't want this bike up soon I would do the frame!...

The pics don't really do them justice, they have an awesome glean especially int he daylight. I also did the front cage, but I left it with my paint guy so he can match the color with the airbrushing.

Let me know what you think..

#32 ·
OKAY HERES AN UPDATE:

I GOT MY WHEELS RE-ASSEMBLED EARLIER THIS WEEK, NOW I JUST NEED TO GET THEM BACK TO THE TIRE SHOP FOR A REMOUNT. I THINK I AM ALSO GOING TO GET NEW BEARINGS AS IT IS SUGGESTED BY THE SERVICE MANUAL.

I ALSO ORDERED MY LOWERING LINKS AND PUT THEM ON LAST NIGHT.
VERY IMPORTANT! I DISCOVERED THIS AFTER STUDYING THE GEOMETRICS OF THE BIKE, YOU HAVE TO SUPPORT THE BIKE ITSELF AND HAVE THE REAR WHEEL/SWINGARM FREE TO PUT THESE ON. IF YOU REMOVE THE LINK WITHOUT DOING SO THE REAR SWINGARM IS FREE AND THE BIKE WILL DROP.

NEW LINK

REAR SHOT

THE LOWER BOLT THAT HAS TO BE REMOVED WAS A BITCH SINCE IT HAD TO BE PULLED DIRECTLY UNDER THE EXHAUST PIPE. i LOOSENED THE REAR EXHAUST MOUNTING BOLT AND TAPPED THE SUSPENSION BOLT OUT AS BEST I COULD, BUT IT STILL SCRATCHED. WHEN I PUT IT BACK TOGETHER THOUGH I REVERSED IT SO THE NUT WAS TO THE RIGHT INSTEAD OF THE BOLT HEAD. THIS WAY IF I HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN THE BOLT WILL COME OUT TO THE LEFT JUST FINE.

HERE IS HOW I SUPPORTED THE BIKE. WASN'T REALLY HAPPY ABOUT IT SO I LAID STUFF OUT IN CASE THE BIKE TIPPED. I ALSO LOOSENED ALL THE BOLTS BEFORE LIFTING IT SO I WASN'T JERKING THE BIKE WHILE IN THIS QUESTIONABLE POSITION.

THATS IT FOR NOW, CURRENTLY LOOKING AT SOME COOL FOOTPEGS AND RACING MIRRORS (WHY THEY ARE CALLED RACING MIRRORS I DON'T KNOW BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW THEY COME OFF FOR TRACK DAY)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.