S-10 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, its been a long time but I am hoping to become a regular here. I am in the process of doing a stereo install in my '02 Sonoma and was wondering if anyone has any advice for making door pods. The current plan is to make some sealed, fiberglass enclosures for the doors that allow me to mount a set of components and position them for optimal imaging. Anyone done anything like this and if so, do you have pics I could see? I would love to see some examples and get some ideas for template design, positioning, etc. Thanks all and look forward to everyone's advice.

·
Zr2USA = B_Rich
2,657 Posts
Most of the time, you won't need to get an actual sealed enclosure for car audio speakers, as most were designed to perform in an IB environment. If you do feel the need to create an actual sealed enclosure, make damn sure you have enough airspace for them. One way to make sure is to model the speakers you're using in WinISD, and set the enclosure volume to the amount that you'll be using. I can say from experience, that if you have too small of an enclosure for your midbass, you'll get a huge peak around 200hz or so that will be impossible to tame.

My suggestion is to build the door pods (if you're really set on that) but don't make them a sealed enclosure. Just have them vent into the door, or have the door panel itself be the "sealed enclosure" that will separate the front wave from the rear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I was curious about that actually. Ok, I will scrap the sealed idea. That actually makes life a bit easier too :) What do you think about kick panels compared to modified door pods (not sealed, just repositioned)?

·
Air ride & Audio
2,816 Posts
the qlogic kick panels? there is no need to reposition them. the way they are set up is to get an excellent "soundstage".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I originally wanted to do kick panels and then thought that the doors would give me more leg room. I may just order the kicks. Anyone have a charcoal passenger side door panel? :D

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
I have some but they are for 5 1/4" speakers.. Not going to use them. Fabbing up custom pods like you were originally talking about.

If you want to figure out a way to do door pods.. www.fiberglassforums.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 6 1/2" components. I made the templates for the doors (sort of) and have the stuff to do the glass work but I am fine with kicks as long as they sound good.

·
Zr2USA = B_Rich
2,657 Posts
Anyone selling any kick panels? I am interested if you are.
Eh, I have 2 extra pair. Both are even painted charcoal grey. They aren't in the greatest of shape (7/10 cosmetically probably) and I won't be able to sell them to you until Thanksgiving break (currently away at school). Not sure how interested you'd be. I have pictures of them in my build thread.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eh, I have 2 extra pair. Both are even painted charcoal grey. They aren't in the greatest of shape (7/10 cosmetically probably) and I won't be able to sell them to you until Thanksgiving break (currently away at school). Not sure how interested you'd be. I have pictures of them in my build thread.
Where are you at school? I see you are either in or from Iowa? I used to live in the Quad Cities. Where are you at/from?

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
I think the hardest part was physically removing the old one and putting the new one in.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
lol.. well its true. Hardest part for me was prying out the old one, which only took a small prybar to get it loose.

·
Zr2USA = B_Rich
2,657 Posts
haha yeah I know. One thing to note, is to make sure you don't pry into the alternator bracket itself. I've heard of some people breaking off the ring that the bolt goes through, then you'll have to find yourself a new alternator bracket.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts