S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been looking at the csr electric water pumps for the small block chevy and am almost positive they will bolt right on to my 4.3 but just wanted to get a few other replies if someone knows something i dont...

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
I am going to agree with Rat here, can be done but there really isn't a need for one on a 4.3 or a street driven vehicle for that matter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't run one personaly, but it is possible.
so what is the reason behind why i shouldnt run one?

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
Cost and reliability. Mechanical systems might not be the most efficient but they tend to work fine in this case until a bearing or seal goes out. The electric pump will likely be susceptible to the same failures, as well as failure of the electric motor, etc.

Cost:
Q: What is the life expectancy of the electric motor?
A: We recommend at 3500 hours or 50,000 miles of every day use, the motor should be replaced.
I tried to find the amperage draw but the best I could find was that they were requiring a 15 amp fuse. That is a fair amount of amperage for the stock alternator, especially if you're idling a bit.

Q: How do I wire my new water pump? What size wire do you recommend?
A: We recommend that the water pump be wired and fused separately. A #12 gauge wire minimum with a 15-amp fuse minimum. An adequate chassis ground is required. Blue wire, positive 12V, black-ground.
CAUTION: Do Not Connect Ground to any Anodized Surface

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
i agree. there is little practical advantage to an electric waterpump on a daily driven vehicle.

for a strip car that might see only limited street use, it might be useful.

the HP gains are minimal at best...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any suggestions of a waterpump that would be a good upgrade? i have heard the edelbrock pumps are pretty good?

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
Edelbrock does have a model that will the 88-95 4.3`s. same one that fits 88-95 truck TBI 305/350`s.

but in all honesty, its kinda overkill for the 4.3. not that it would be bad to have it, but the stock pumps that are used on the 4.3`s were also used on the 350`s, so if a stock one can meet the needs of the 350, then it should be more than sufficent for a 4.3...

it would be nice to have the lighter aluninum pump though.
might also be nice to have with an underdrive pulley...

·
Registered
254 Posts
well all u guys run electic fans whats the differents when ur stuck in traffic u rely on electric motors heck y not rely on the all the time.

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
well all u guys run electic fans whats the differents when ur stuck in traffic u rely on electric motors heck y not rely on the all the time.
Because the cooling system has some capacity without the fan for a little while at least. I drive a lot over 30mph, and the fan isn't even needed in this situation. If you lost the pump you will overheat very fast no matter how fast you are going.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
I have the edlebrock 8881 water pump on my 4.3. I have noticed no major differance in cooling ability over the factory pump. I was having an averheating problem while sitting in traffic for a long time. It would reach 220 or so and that was it. My truck also had 132,000 miles on the orig pump. I replaced the pump with the edel and a new t-stat. The only differance I have found is that it does cool down faster while cruising and it prev did. other than that, It does looks better since it is alum instead of cast.

I have run elec pump on drag cars before only because you can leave them running after you turn the eng off. This helps for faster cool down. Alos of course it had an electric fan that we alos ran after the eng was turned off. As far as for a DD, I see no benefit from it and the reliability was not that great for 350.00 for only 50,000 miles. Not worth the money to me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the edlebrock 8881 water pump on my 4.3. I have noticed no major differance in cooling ability over the factory pump. I was having an averheating problem while sitting in traffic for a long time. It would reach 220 or so and that was it. My truck also had 132,000 miles on the orig pump. I replaced the pump with the edel and a new t-stat. The only differance I have found is that it does cool down faster while cruising and it prev did. other than that, It does looks better since it is alum instead of cast.

I have run elec pump on drag cars before only because you can leave them running after you turn the eng off. This helps for faster cool down. Alos of course it had an electric fan that we alos ran after the eng was turned off. As far as for a DD, I see no benefit from it and the reliability was not that great for 350.00 for only 50,000 miles. Not worth the money to me.
Another benifit on drag cars is you can turn them off durring your run for maximum hp then turn them on when you hit the end.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Another benifit on drag cars is you can turn them off durring your run for maximum hp then turn them on when you hit the end. I'll almost bet that it draws almost the same hp as the factory machanical one by loading the alternator.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts