S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 s-10 LS 2.2 Auto. 108k mi No major problems other than having to replace the accessory bracket for bearing failure.

Has anyone come across cruise control problems?

Specifically, when I set my cruise, it will drop then SLOWLY get back to the set point. As I have had this truck from brand new, I know this is not normal operation. Normal operation was, set cruise and expect a pickup of speed until the target was met.

Also, when I start to climb a long steep hill, it will not kick down in order to maintain the target speed.

Please don't suggest tranny issues. Aside from the cruise issues, the truck runs fine.

Please let us focus on what makes the tranny kick down while cruise is on.

The dealership I just took it to said that they could not find anything wrong. They just want to attribute it to the fact the truck is old.

I do not agree with their findings. I know there is a mechanical or electrical or electronic reason for this problem.

Are there any GOOD Goodwrench mechanics out there.

Thanks in advance.

K

·
0 Posts
HE HE....TRANNY ISSUE??

Sorry Buddy...but is does sound like a tranny issue....sound like a torque coverter problem..or a torque converter clutch switch problem (TCC Problem)

K

·
0 Posts
oh hehe...forgot to ask a couple questions...do the RPM's Kick up when you set the cruise and is SLOWLY rising to target speed??

And i think your 96 is electronically controlled cruise control solenoid right?? NOT vacuum right??
If it is Vacuum you may have a vacuum leak

K

·
0 Posts
oh also could be a shift solennoid too....but...if you are not having any shifting problems i doubt that when you hit the cruise that it would make it all of a sudden **** up....but...you know i can only give you ideas...i cannot give you a defenite answer...without diagnosing it myself and drving it myself and all..soo..i will help the best i can

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a little quiz......

What is the mechanical link between the cruise control module and the throttle linkage?

Did you guess the crusie control feedback cable?

Tell me, what happens if that cable stretches?

Here, I will tell you. IF that cable stretches, it will be to long to pull the throttle down far enough to make the tranny kick down.

All you guys had to do was to take what I said, think about it, and see what didn't make sense.

And those stupid f***s at the garage said there was nothing wrong.
This is what happens when we let computers take over. We get stupid and cannot think for ourselves.

Mechanics now days do not have the troubleshooting skills of yesteryears. If the computer says its ok well then there must not be a problem. I think not.

Oh and buy the way, one more question.
Why do you guys waste your time on dressing up an S-10?
A turd with diamonds on it is still a turd and a 4 cyl is still a 4 cyl.
Nothing makes a sound like a small block at 7,000 when you make that shift.

·
Low and Slow
28 Posts
A quiz for you...

Hey man, what's your problem? You come here, ask a question, then call us stupid for the answer and on top of that make fun of us... What's the matter?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah no sh!t man, what godly right do you have to just start flaming this section of the board for no apparent reason? If you dont like the 4 cyl sooo much then why own one, so much logic you have about why not to own a 4 cyl or make it run better than factory why didn't you at least get a 4.3. How many people go buy a Z-28 or Ram Air Firebird or 4 cyl Hondas and do something to the engine and why? Because they can and they want to. Thats why. Its their money just like it is our money. We spend the way we choose.

Sorry about going off there but just couldn't help it.

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Junior tech at an inferior dealership

He probably gets stuck doing all the warranty work at his dealership and he learned something new so he has to lord it over someone. Ignore him in the future!

Rick!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
yeah he seems like a loser who just found something out and wants too hold it over our heads because it took him 3 weeks to figure it out himself. All he did was give you possible solutions to a problem and instead of you coming back here and telling us so maybe in the future we could help someone else, you come here and flame the **** outta a guy trying to help you, **** off man, your kind isn't really welcome on this board. dont start **** in places you dont intend to stay. if you do stay you will be my *****, i will flame you for every dumb thing you say, have a nice day jackass

·
littleX10
70 Posts
I am not a professional auto mechanic. But I have missed a leak or annunciator warning light on a Boeing 737. Which is my expertise, the B757 and Airbuses I'm still on the learning curve. But i've never been called stupid by one of the pilots because they observe a problem I missed during routine inspections and function checks. Why don't you just thank these people for trying to help and then tell us what was wrong. Because even on your own truck you would need to tear it down and put it back together for 12 yrs. to have some of our members mechanical knowledge. But that is a good observation on your part no matter what you've owned and driven it since new. So we would need a week or so to become as familiar as you are. Just remember how you like to be treated and try to treat us the same. Also some of the ASE mechanics are new and that only gives you a license to learn like my A&P did 11 yrs. ago. So drop by the shop and share your findings with him or her. And who knows he or she might help you for nothing on future problems. Much like these guys did with your current problem.

K

·
0 Posts
yea **** him....his is a ****hole...he can go to hell for all I care....I actually work in a shop...mechanical linkage rarely are to blame for cruise control problems...Stupid ****....i mean..i just got out of GM Trainning and all....but..hey what do i know RIGHT?? I am not saying i am oblivious to error......but i give it a good try...to help this ass **** out didn't I....oh well...once a ****er always a ****ker
Later

·
littleX10
70 Posts
I hope he did'nt just ask the question to discredit the people who posted. I thought you guys had some good possible causes for the problem. But hey I'm prone to mistakes to. Its just it must be dealt with before hitting the road in the sky!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have heard and talked to MANY bitter,angry,self righteous small man complex people. Buy this guy is just right out RUDE AND NO MANNERS!(ADDED TO ALL THE OTHER CHARACTERISTICS) When I had a problem with my "check engine light" I was blown away by the fast response I had and the great support from these LOYAL members. You go-ir are the WEAKEST LINK....GOOD BY!

And by the way...We dress up our property with the American Choice called FREEDOM OF SPEECH which you used very foolishly!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts