S-10 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 164 Posts

·
Old Fart
3,222 Posts
I was planning on something like this one that drops down for easier servicing for mine but your solution is less money. :cool:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I was planning on something like this one that drops down for easier servicing for mine but your solution is less money. :cool:

I looked at alot of different aftermarket battery boxes/ trays before I went with the GM one. Just seemed to be the best choice, and the price makes it better.

·
Been there Done it
7,801 Posts
Two thought come to mind about the speedway box. I wouldn't trust it off road since the little springs on the rods are all that's holding them in place in the holes. Also you're going to have to figure out a way to route the battery cables so they aren't rubbing anywhere yet have enough room for when you lower it. They aren't usually very flexible.
Would be nice to be able to get at the battery, tho.
In the GM parts book the other one has a plastic battery top cover available to keep crud off the top of the battery.
Last time I moved one to the trunk was 50 years ago and we just stuck it in a boat box. Still have the plastic box. I gotta throw some of this stuff out.

·
Old Fart
3,222 Posts
Two thought come to mind about the speedway box. I wouldn't trust it off road since the little springs on the rods are all that's holding them in place in the holes. Also you're going to have to figure out a way to route the battery cables so they aren't rubbing anywhere yet have enough room for when you lower it. They aren't usually very flexible.
Would be nice to be able to get at the battery, tho.
In the GM parts book the other one has a plastic battery top cover available to keep crud off the top of the battery.
Last time I moved one to the trunk was 50 years ago and we just stuck it in a boat box. Still have the plastic box. I gotta throw some of this stuff out.
Welding cable = flexible battery cables.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Welding cable = flexible battery cables.
I've used welding cable in the past with good results but I happened to find some 0/1 gauge wire on amazon. Not sure what direction I'm going to go with the cables until I make some progress getting stuff mounted. I have been fortunate enough to use a lift for most of my projects but this one I have to do flat back. It wasn't until last night I drug the trans under the frame to get it stabbed. I hope to find time to put it in tonight but I am juggling 1,000 other things and trying to keep the wife happy at the same time. Happy wife = happy life.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
When I got home from work today I managed to get a few more things done.

I got the new converter installed and the trans stabbed:
60281152702__A474F4A2-DF2C-4FA0-9DED-4074552B8A25.JPG

Looks live everything is fitting together nicely. I was worried I was going to have to get driveshafts made.

IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2684.JPG

IMG_2685.JPG

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
for compressed air such as for service air or for air ride?

I remember many moons ago a friend having an old flat nose Bell South Telephone van that his Dad had installed a real train whistle.
To power it he tapped into the exhaust manifold and had a valve behind the drivers seat,with a rope attached.
The exhaust was plumbed into a tank that stored pressure for when the need arose to wake the dead.
There was no such thing as an electric compressor then.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
for compressed air such as for service air or for air ride?

I remember many moons ago a friend having an old flat nose Bell South Telephone van that his Dad had installed a real train whistle.
To power it he tapped into the exhaust manifold and had a valve behind the drivers seat,with a rope attached.
The exhaust was plumbed into a tank that stored pressure for when the need arose to wake the dead.
There was no such thing as an electric compressor then.
It’s for service air like filling tires or running an impact gun. I picked up the compressor from storage. It’s going to need a good cleaning, a new frame bracket and some re-wiring.

7730BA21-9B1B-4F62-B13D-36E10DCC4BA3.jpeg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #150 (Edited)
@ Krazy Ken , as far as the ac hoses are you going to custom make some?
I was actually looking at that today. I think the only custom hose I’m going to need is the compressor manifold hose. Most of the ac lines look like they are going to work with some minor tweaking.

Edit: I need to find a factory barb that comes straight out of the condenser instead of doing a 90' straight up towards the hood.

achose.jpeg

IMG_2738.JPG

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Today I was able to weld in some core support brackets and get the new condenser mounted. I also extended the hood support bracket down and bolted to the bottom of what’s left of the core support.

65547A7D-2E0F-41AB-8963-E55D15127E28.jpeg

5212CCE6-FD44-44A4-B57E-146B33DF4508.jpeg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Since space is an issue I would go with the smallest plate and fin style oil cooler as they are more efficient and should be more than enough for power steering.
I got lazy and decided to bolt the factory PS cooler back on. I got over the fact it doesn't have any fins and I can't see it from the drivers seat.

ps cooler.jpeg

grill.jpeg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #153 (Edited)
I have been mentally preparing myself to do the heater core on this truck again for the 2nd time. After reading about Rhotpursuit using silicon on the outlet tubes that seems to be the trick. I got a $49 replacement heater core from Orielly this time since my $116 OE AC Delco didn't even last a year. I immediatly noticed the yellow grease looking stuff on the right side outlet; I hope that isn't bad foreboding. When I attempted to put a slight bend in the lines it bent the aluminum tank itself, not the lines. I will have to wait and see if it clears the back of the intake.

As soon as I get the heater core figured out, I can run all of the smaller coolant lines which is one step closer to getting this thing fired up.

core.jpeg

corebent.jpeg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
I havn't had the time to sit down and do the heater core so I'm hoping for this weekend. I want to do it all in one shot instead of taking it part after work and putting it back together the next day ( I start to forget things).

@ Krazy Ken , as far as the ac hoses are you going to custom make some?
Today I ran around Phx gathering up parts for the AC. I need to measure and cut for hose length and then get everything crimped. Once I'm done I will post a list of all the part numbers and fittings I used.

I started with a v6 trailblazer AC manifold and cut off the barbs because they were the wrong size. TRSA12B compressors use #10 and #12 AC hoses apparently and S10's use #8 and #12 hoses. I drilled and tapped for 3/8 NPT to use vintage air 36032-MPA fittings I got from So Cal Speed Shop AZ. Then I ran to AAPAK in PHX to get the rest of the fittings I needed.

AC1.jpg

AC2.JPG

AC3.jpeg

AC4.jpeg

AC5.jpeg

AC6.jpeg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #157 (Edited)
Ok so I used the factory hoses from the 4.3 S10 side to get everything where it is now. I used the following part number AC fittings:

2x Vintage Air 36032-MPA
1x B9305 Metric M20 straight #8
1x B1307 #10 o-ring straight to #12 hose
1x B1329 #10 o-ring 90 degree to #8 hose

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
V6 trailBlazer? as in 99 special edition ?
Or did you mean the 02-10 Trailblazer/envoy/bravada variant
Sorry I should have specified. It’s the second option (02-10) you mentioned. Also it came to my realization it’s a straight 6 not a v6. I guess I never really paid attention to them before. There happened to be one at the junkyard in which someone had already pulled the motor. I know the 4.2 uses a different but similar AC compressor so I grabbed the compressor manifold since It was already removed.

141 - 160 of 164 Posts