S-10 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Ok, I am happy with the AC compressor/ frame clearance. The compressor is tight but it comes out in the truck without pulling the motor. I carefully slotted the bottom AC bolt holes in the compressor otherwise there is no room for the bolts. Also the TBSS ac bracket must have provisions in the oil pan for threads that the truck oil pan does not so I had to use nutserts in the back of the bracket because there isn't any room behind the bracket for a nut.

comp.jpeg

bolts.jpeg

nutserts.jpeg

compres.jpeg

frame clearance.jpeg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
did you save the pieces you cut out so they can be pinned in?
did you try installing compressor with bolts slid in to compressor first?
The aluminum pieces are somewhere in recycle land with all the aluminum cans. After looking at the small tensioner and the fact the AC is on its very own belt system I'm not concerned with the compressor coming loose. If it does become a problem, I will come back and update about it. There is alot of clamping force created by those 4x bolts; the top two bolts would have to fall out completely for it to rotate and become an issue.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Now that the radiator is mounted solid I can make some brackets to hold the electric fan in place. I also found some radiator hoses that I think will fit. The upper hose is not as long as I wish it was, maybe ill be able to come up with a longer version by cutting down a different hose.

radiator.jpeg

·
Old Fart
3,223 Posts
I used one similar to that on my 57 Chevy that was for a Ford Galaxy but I don't remember for sure which engine or year, seems like it was for a 390.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
I might of missed the reason, but why did you go with a TBSS AC bracket and not the standard truck one? This would be great if this would work as an AC compressor inst something that is typically removed a bunch.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I might of missed the reason, but why did you go with a TBSS AC bracket and not the standard truck one? This would be great if this would work as an AC compressor inst something that is typically removed a bunch.
I honestly didn’t try but to my knowledge the truck and trailblazer compressor mounting points are different. This image is not mine and I borrowed it from the interwebs but shows LS3, Truck, and TBSS brackets.

628F7124-04C8-4BD2-B771-E4E62EEE9FC7.jpeg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
I was able to cut a section out of a gates hose PN: 21191 that seems to work perfectly.The next two things on my plate are getting the condenser/ hood latch bracket to work and the power steering hooked up with a decent cooler. I'm not a fan of the factory s10 cooler which doesn't even have fins on the lines.

Edit: The hood seems to clear with the larger 145amp alternator which is a plus.

21191.JPG

·
Old Fart
3,223 Posts
I looked twice but I can not find anything saying what fan setup you are using?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
I looked twice but I can not find anything saying what fan setup you are using?
Sorry I forgot to post on that. Its a ~2000 Ford Winstar fan; Orielly PN: FA70127 which is the closest fan I could find to fit the size of the radiator. I had to mount it upside down because one of the fan motors stuck out and interfered with the power steering pump/pulley. The picture shows the silverado pump but I ended going with the late model camaro water pump which is shown in my more recent pictures. I also cut the plastic shroud a little be to clear the lower radiator hose and sit down better on the radiator. Seems to fit like a glove after a little massaging.

fan.JPG

fan notch.JPG

windsor fan.JPG

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #132 (Edited)
Ok last night I was able to get a couple things buttoned up. I removed the engine lift plate to install the knock sensors, knock sensor harness, and the steam vent tube. I also got the power steering pulley pressed on and the hoses installed minus the cooler because I still don't know which cooler I want to use. My factory ac condensor has seen better days and is actually slightly tweaked so I ordered a new thinner condenser this morning from the parts house. When it got here I immediately wrapped it in cardboard to protect the fins. Its something I should have done with my radiator because now it has dings and dents from pulling it in and out so many times. I need to work on re-designing the hood latch.

oldcondenser.JPG

latch.JPG

packaging.JPG

protected.jpg

·
Old Fart
3,223 Posts
Since space is an issue I would go with the smallest plate and fin style oil cooler as they are more efficient and should be more than enough for power steering.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I ordered two remote battery frame brackets gm part number 20970916 that came in. I need to get off my behind and get the rest of the drivetrain in so I can find real estate on the frame to mount them.
84D639F8-96D6-47B1-BEE4-EA5B98395DE9.jpeg

·
Old Fart
3,223 Posts
I ordered two remote battery frame brackets gm part number 20970916 that came in. I need to get off my behind and get the rest of the drivetrain in so I can find real estate on the frame to mount them.
View attachment 337749
How much were they?

·
Been there Done it
7,820 Posts
I googled the part number 20970916 and found you need to be careful. Two different styles of battery trays seem to have that part number and both claim to be GM 20970916. One looks like the pics above and the other seems to be the typical under hood thingy:

They all claim to be van battery trays. This place has the right one:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
How much were they?
The dealer wanted ~$50 each and that did not include the battery hold down block and bolt. I found a gentleman on ebay with several that included the hold down block. I think they were $87 after tax and shipping.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
The reason for two is because two is always better than one right? All joking aside something I haven't mentioned that in the back of my head is my plan for OBA (On Board Air). It's something that most people don't need but i'm always the odd one out and like to be prepared. My normal "go to" set up is an engine driven york compressor (like whats pictured on my dmax) but with space being issue I would rather have AC in the summer. My plan was to mount the york on the passenger side but the AC lines, heater hoses and computer will be mounted in that area. So that leads to why I need 2x batteries. I have an old model oasis air compressor in storage that I can't find the specs for but the new model pulls 180 amps at full tilt. I plan to get the Oasis out of storage and use that instead of an engine driven compressor.

My current compressor:
Dmaxyork.JPG

Random York LS bracket set up:
LSyork.jpg

The one I have is similar to the compressor pictured below and I'll post pictures when I get it out of storage:

unnamed.jpg

121 - 140 of 164 Posts