S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I just ate a honda.
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I was sittin at work today looking at a old air compressor laying in the corner and had a rediculous idea. Im sure some one has thought of it but I have never seen a thread about it around here.

Very simple. Compressed air released into your air intake = boost. I know it sounds crazy but after thinking about it it seems that alot of pressure could be released at once making some serious PSI! It would almost be kinda like NO2. A release button, immediate HP gain, then some kind of emergency cut off valve.

Comments?

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The problem is that the valve would have to be so large that it would be difficult to control the amount of air exiting the tank, which also has to be absolutly HUGE to hold enough capacity to have boost for a 1/4 mile.

There was a guy that tried this in the '60s with a dragster, and made it work, but was no where near as competitive as other cars in the same class, due to the extra weight of the tank, and the compressed air within that tank.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It can be used along with a turbo to help with lag. The Pikes Peak hill climb Audi in the 80s supposedly used it. It carried a large tank and blew into the turbo to spin it up real quick.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
The problem is that the valve would have to be so large that it would be difficult to control the amount of air exiting the tank, which also has to be absolutly HUGE to hold enough capacity to have boost for a 1/4 mile.

There was a guy that tried this in the '60s with a dragster, and made it work, but was no where near as competitive as other cars in the same class, due to the extra weight of the tank, and the compressed air within that tank.
A transvector scuba tank and valve weigh less then a modest turbo and additional plumbing. ;) not by much.

and air does not weigh much 600gal is only a few pounds.

if you where to take a tube from ground to space that was one square in at the ground the air inside would weigh 14.7lbs

Also a 220Cu ft bottle at 3,000PSI holds 1,800gallons of air ;)

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts
soooo what ur saying is that if you were to use ONLY compressed air from the tank, you can get an engine to run off compressed air instead of boosted air for a 1/4 mile... just until the air runs out you can burn so much more gas...
but why have that when you can have rocket fuel? lol

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
I thought about this and did the math and it won't work. Most ppl cannot understand how much air is actually coming in an out out of engine to produce that airflow is quite impressive.

Only way to do it is to have a valve in the intake that seals once u hit the compressed air or else it would all leak out. And you would need a 300 gallon air tank for the 1/4 lol

Not practical. Rev your engine up and very carefully choke the engine. I was once told that a 350SBC sucks so hard if u were to put your hanwd over the carb. and make a seal if would break your wrist. Our engines are 262 CID motors and air impressive air pumps

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
A transvector scuba tank and valve weigh less then a modest turbo and additional plumbing. ;) not by much.

and air does not weigh much 600gal is only a few pounds.

if you where to take a tube from ground to space that was one square in at the ground the air inside would weigh 14.7lbs

Also a 220Cu ft bottle at 3,000PSI holds 1,800gallons of air ;)

A scuba tank might get you off the line, by a few feet, before it runs out, maybe. The volume of compressed air required is HUGE. IIRC the tank on that dragster from the '60s was abot 3' in diameter and over 12' long, and weighed over 300 lbs, a turbo and ALL related plumbing weighs considerably less than this, and works, works quite well.

I don't understand what you are trying to say about some tube going to space, because one "atmoshpere" at sea level has a force of 14.7 PSIG. Compressed air does weigh quite a bit more than people seem to think.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
A scuba tank might get you off the line, by a few feet, before it runs out, maybe. The volume of compressed air required is HUGE. IIRC the tank on that dragster from the '60s was abot 3' in diameter and over 12' long, and weighed over 300 lbs, a turbo and ALL related plumbing weighs considerably less than this, and works, works quite well.

I don't understand what you are trying to say about some tube going to space, because one "atmoshpere" at sea level has a force of 14.7 PSIG. Compressed air does weigh quite a bit more than people seem to think.

A scuba tank will last at 6PSI boost at 1,400CFM for 6 hours constant boost ;)

the reason the dragster needed a huge tank was they ran low pressure like 200PSI

And air at sea levle is 0.01 lb/gal :cool:

so 600gal is 6lbs Just like I said

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
DJD, i think you should just come teach my physics class next semester... would be a lot more fun
:haha:

And damn your avatar we have fruit flyes in our shop at work I just punched my screen for nothing! :lol:

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
one thing to mention about compressed air it is very cold and very dense as it expands into your engine ;) you get allot more 'air' at the same pressure

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
A scuba tank will last at 6PSI boost at 1,400CFM for 6 hours constant boost ;)

the reason the dragster needed a huge tank was they ran low pressure like 200PSI

And air at sea levle is 0.01 lb/gal :cool:

so 600gal is 6lbs Just like I said

*sigh*......

Go ahead try it, you'll see, because apparently you know more than automotive engineers about this. :roll:

The scuba tank has no where near enough capacity to supply an engine for more than a second or so, due to the volume of air needed.

The reason the dragster needed the large tank was to provide enough volumn for most of the run, IIRC it actually ran out of air before the traps.

Please, through a scuba tank in your truck and have it "boost" your engine, then post the results.

·
I just ate a honda.
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok what about another idea... Compressed air spinning a turbine. Like a turbocharger only instead of exhaust spinning the turbine, the compressed air does it. Comon it would work a hell of alot better then some damn electric supercharger!

Just think, there could be a whole new world of boost out there. It seems like its all centered around turbos and superchargers right now. Theres got to be other ways to achieve boost that are still effective and efficient, yet cheaper.

A Compressed air charger concept, if taken properly by the right hands, could become something really freakin awesome and money effecient for those of us that spent too much money on a V8 swap and cant afford boost.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
*sigh*......

Go ahead try it, you'll see, because apparently you know more than automotive engineers about this. :roll:

The scuba tank has no where near enough capacity to supply an engine for more than a second or so, due to the volume of air needed.

The reason the dragster needed the large tank was to provide enough volumn for most of the run, IIRC it actually ran out of air before the traps.

Please, through a scuba tank in your truck and have it "boost" your engine, then post the results.
He already did boost his 2.2L with his idea. I don't think you realize that hes not just shooting raw air from the tank into his engine. He's using a transvector, incase you missed that, which you obviously don't understand. Please read up on it, or maybe read DJD's thread about the idea before you keep shouting your mouth off to him.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/project-home-made-forced-induction-230214/

DJD owns your soul.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Ok what about another idea... Compressed air spinning a turbine. Like a turbocharger only instead of exhaust spinning the turbine, the compressed air does it. Comon it would work a hell of alot better then some damn electric supercharger!

Just think, there could be a whole new world of boost out there. It seems like its all centered around turbos and superchargers right now. Theres got to be other ways to achieve boost that are still effective and efficient, yet cheaper.

A Compressed air charger concept, if taken properly by the right hands, could become something really freakin awesome and money effecient for those of us that spent too much money on a V8 swap and cant afford boost.
Yup same thing as a transvector it will convert high pressure low volume to high volume low pressure air!

That is a great thought man, nice part air motors can be had that operate at 6,000RPM+ soo les gearing needed. and they will run very very cold!

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts

im assuming thats how
It can be used along with a turbo to help with lag. The Pikes Peak hill climb Audi in the 80s supposedly used it. It carried a large tank and blew into the turbo to spin it up real quick.
was done, if it was. i have no idea. just going based on his post

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
He already did boost his 2.2L with his idea. I don't think you realize that hes not just shooting raw air from the tank into his engine. He's using a transvector, incase you missed that, which you obviously don't understand. Please read up on it, or maybe read DJD's thread about the idea before you keep shouting your mouth off to him.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/project-home-made-forced-induction-230214/

DJD owns your soul.
Uhh, no where in that thread does ot show a scuba tank hooked up to an engine, there is a picture of something that looks something like a TB, but without other angles I can't tell exactly what it is.

From the thread it looks like he never got it to work. "Ran out of time" is a BS excuse, if it's a personal project there's never a hard dead line except for death, to be completed.

You don't think, just for a minute that if this concept was this easy we all wouldn't be doing this in our vehicles?

Lets fill all our nitrous tanks (Which I beleive has more volume than a scuba tank) with compressed air. :roll:

Why is it so hard for people to understand the amount of volume of air needed here, surpasses what can be contained in a small enough tank to make it worth while?

Like I said, install it and post the results, not a bunch of conjecture about some half baked idea, that has been proven to not work in the past.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts