S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
SUICIDE: The Only Answer
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this would probably be simple for a good fabricator. and I am not sure if its been thought of yet. everyone says that a side-to-side with a 2-link is not possible....but what if someone were to put a joint on the end that could twist as well as up and down. You would definately need a panhard for the setup but it seems to me that it would allow for at least some side action without tearing the perch completely off. It is just an idea so dont throw a 4-link bar at my head :D

·
Ol' Skool Member
395 Posts
Couldnt you make a 4-link out of a two link? Just do what the he is doing just add two wishbone bars going to a x-member?

right?

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
NO because the lower bars are hard mounted to the axle without a swivel point.

Not trying to flame, but why do all this to a 2-link when you can make a 4-link for less?????

·
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just tossed the idea out there because everyone says it can't be done. I personally wouldnt bother but someone might :)

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
The problem with side to side on a 2 link isn't the moutning point on the spring perches... its the mounting point on the axle. That is what needs to pivot in order to achieve side to side with a 2 link... and that is not possible, because then you would need upper linkages, which would not make it a 2 link anymore.

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
I do have to say a 2-link is better then mono leafs any day, and I have debated going to the steel shop and making my own, but why when I can wait and have a 4-link.

·
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my favorite is a super fast see-saw. by the way I saw some direct valves with no diaphram in truckin' mag. anyone use them?

·
EpicenterDesigns.com
1,025 Posts
jm2200 said:
....but what if someone were to put a joint on the end that could twist as well as up and down.

Think about this, and I can't beleive none of you other guys caught this..........what is going to keep the axel from spinning either up or down if you have it like that? That is why there are 4 points to a 4 link on the axel.

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
LoW_1 said:
I do have to say a 2-link is better then mono leafs any day, and I have debated going to the steel shop and making my own, but why when I can wait and have a 4-link.
I'd say you're wrong. Mono leafs are by far better than a 2 link, tho still just as unsafe.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Running a 2 link here for 10 K Miles and no problems at all (knock on wood) but i do put my truck on my rack every sat and inspect it from front to back. And this is my everyday driver. So id have to say some 2 links are very good to their owners.

·
can i video tape you?
2,360 Posts
I have a two link on my long bed, i would never run it permanently[sp] Once the truck is done i'm going to save up buy/make my own wishbone 3/5 link but untill then the two link will werk fine for me. I just dont have time right now to build a proper forward facing link set up so the two link will stay for a while, its not like i drive the thing often or at all lol

·
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Re: crazy 2-link idea

dbornotdb said:
Think about this, and I can't beleive none of you other guys caught this..........what is going to keep the axel from spinning either up or down if you have it like that? That is why there are 4 points to a 4 link on the axel.
You may be thinking that the joint would act like a ball joint of some type.....What I had in mind was more like a round pipe inside of a slightly larger one....the end of the joint would still be a traditional link with a urethane or rubber bushing, thus taking care of the up down motion. I also said you would HAVE to have a panhard which would help with the axle stability.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts