S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody had a problem with crappy mileage? I only get about 325 miles per tank with mine lately. I used to get damn near 400. Most of my drivinig is on the interstate too.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You runnin the heater or defroster alot lately? They are supposed to be tied into the A/C so it will suck more gas than normal.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sicky00 said:
You runnin the heater or defroster alot lately? They are supposed to be tied into the A/C so it will suck more gas than normal.
I know the defrost is tied in but I never run that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not trying to be a smart a_s, but I am curious, what was your actual mileage when you were getting 400 miles per tank, like 27? Is it now like 21? (B/c I have noticed a slight degradation in my truck's mileage and I am trying to narrow problems down.

thanks for any info you care to provide.

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
when my motor was runnin i used to get around 400 also. it was kinda shock to me but, i got the truck from my dad and he said that he got aorund that too!

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
needinfo said:
Not trying to be a smart a_s, but I am curious, what was your actual mileage when you were getting 400 miles per tank, like 27? Is it now like 21? (B/c I have noticed a slight degradation in my truck's mileage and I am trying to narrow problems down.

thanks for any info you care to provide.
It was a little better than 25 now it's around 21. It's only got 24k miles on it so something must be up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Now, don't laugh, but I have a 98 and when it was at 30K miles I had to have the brakes done b/c of a "stuck Caliper" said the dealer. it was only one side and it wore the brake away and well, shot the mpg b/c the brake was constantly rubbing against the rotor. That's one thing i'd check. I wouldn't rule out sensors or plugs and wires either. I am thinking my problem (now at 75K) is a Computer.

G

·
running your heater on the floor robs you of gas mileage and performance? i always run my heat on the floor on notch 2 to take the excess heat off the engine, but if i robs me of power im not doing it anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your mileage will vary due to a lot of factors. Weather, the gas you buy, tire height, proper tire inflation, the roads you drive on, a sensor going out, or clutch/transmission slipage wil cause your mileage to drop. Has your driving style changed? I think you should be getting better mileage than that. On the interstate, my s10 will pull 31 MPG all day, and thats in the mountains. Took a road trip to Atlanta on Saturday and got 32 MPG........thats 640 miles to a tank(20 gal)!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
damn i get 20 mpg now that i made a custom intake, was only getting 16 mpg a week or 2 ago, feel priveliged u have a 2.2 in that aspect

·
littleX10
70 Posts
You did'nt mention it so I thought I would ask. Have you installed a cooler thermostat? If so go back to the 195. Is your airfilter clean? change it with a new one and perhaps try a K&N. Plugs and wires should be well within limits at your mileage but check them for normal wear and perhaps gap them to underhood sticker gap specs. Make sure your tires are aired up to door sticker recommended pressure bi weekly or so. I am sure you already know these or may not. So I thought I would try to help. The only thing with the brakes I would think. Would be if your parking brake spring release was'nt up to par. And was cause rear shoes to drag excessively. Good luck with your chevy man!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I get just about that in moderate traffic. I am very forthcoming with alll the maintanance issues(filters,plugs,Synthetic mobil 1 oil and NO CHEAP DISCOUNT GAS STATION THAT MAY HAVE RUST AND WATER IN THEIR UNDERGROUND TANKS! I live in Themepark HELL Florida so the weather forces me to use the air conditioner often.However, In long trips in the highway I get about 425-430 per tank...and consider myself blessed! LOVE MY S-10!!!!!

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
how do you guys get milage like that? how fast do you drive on the freeway? the best milage I ever got was 24 mpg and that was all freeway. I cruise around 75. is that a problem?

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
i notice the same thing on my truck....i know my k&n is mad dirty i havent cleaned it in forever...think thats the prob?

·
Tired of being slow
31 Posts
Okay I have never *ever* gotten over 21 mpg in my S10. I drive fairly hard but not too bad, nothing really that bad. I have taken trips that used a whole tank of gas, cruised at around 65-70 the whole time, and still only gotten 20-21 mpg out it. It's often as low as 17. I have 90,000 miles. I use a K&N replacement filter on the stock intake. I took out that big resonator thing and replaced it with a spray paint can lid as i had read about and drilled the airbox, it feels a tiny tad more responsive (much louder though) but I didn't notice any mileage difference. I also had my spark plugs and wires changed at about 80k because the truck would just misfire and die randomly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had 22k on my truck and i pulled the stock plugs and they were terriably burnt i changed them and the truck is running lots better. Fuel filter i changed also.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had 22k on my truck and i pulled the stock plugs and they were terriably burnt i changed them and the truck is running lots better. Fuel filter i changed also.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts