S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Ask me if I care
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At about 2500 to 4500rpm (give or take) range and mid throttle my engine begins to hesitate majorly, lag b/c of the hesitation, and will start to buck if I keep in in that range at mid throttle. Not just hesitation but a pulsing hestiation. if a/c lag was a 2 of 10, this would be a 5 of 10.

At idle, no hint of a problem. At full throttle while driving, no problem. In neutral revving up to the 2500-4500 range.... nothing also. Just seems like while driving, mid throttle in that rpm range. This just started today, never had a problem like this before. Drove my truck abut 20mile, let it sit for 8 hrs, and it still does it. Any ideas????

I swear, owning this truck just makes me want to sell it and never buy a Chevy ever again.

·
Ask me if I care
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For anyone who cares or is following this thread:

My problem is now getting way worse. Bog, hestitation, and huge lack of power in all rpm/speed ranges. Going on the highway like 80mph and I hit a low grade hill the my truck bogs and goes up the hill but loses speed...with the pedal pegged. Its like I have to floor it to get anywhere. I gas the f*cker and its screaming al the time like its going fast but I'm fighting just to keep it at a normal speed.

I've changed my plugs and wires w/ in the last month, I changed my oil this past week and do it regularly, I just put a full tank of 93 octane and some complete fuel system treatment cleaner today, I'm going to change my fuel filter today (last changed about 10k ago), clean/oil my cone filter today, change my pcv valve today, and other than that I'm at a loss. Someone please help.

Crappy azz Chevy, I dont think I've ever had any GOOD comments about my truck....well it looks good....sitting in my garage while I fix it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
it could be your cat? how many miles are on your truck

it could have something to do with the engine driven comp.

hope this helps

·
Do I need a gas mask?!
5,780 Posts
check timing, cat, fuel filter, and do you have an auto tranny, cause if you do you might want to check your tranny filter and fluid.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Sounds like plug wires.....double check them since they were just replaced

Caleb

·
Ask me if I care
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 47K on it now and its a 5spd. Don't think its the engine driven comp. for the fact that I've had it since May and no problems since. "could be my wires" as in they are bad and need replacement? I'll check those. What are other signs that my cat is bad. I mean, lag and hestiation is really bad right now. Its not just a little loss, its a whole bunch. Would a cat just go all of a sudden? From Thursday to today is a mjor differance, not just a gradual loss. If it was a sensor or something of sorts making my engine perform this bad would it hae thrown a code already and made my check engine light go on?

·
Registered
173 Posts
at 47k its not very likely that your cat would be gone. if your wires are in bad shape the thats probably your problem.

·
Ask me if I care
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said, my wires were replaced a month ago but wont rule that out. However, I just checked my cat. Now when I rev it it rattles. I shut my truck off and if I shake or hit it, it sounds like stuff is loose or rattling inside. Does that equal a bad cat?

·
Ask me if I care
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like I said, it sounds like whatever is inside the cat i seriously rattling around and lose. Is that a bad cat? I'm in the process right now of taking the cat off to hollow it out until I can order a new cat. They arent bad but I've had a few problems that just make ya wanna say screw it and throw in the towel. But I'm sure we all have had those problems that put you on the verge of pushing your ride off a cliff.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The S-10s are great trucks, I bought my 97 new and it gave me my first problem about two weeks ago at 65,000 mi. (water pump) I just with they were a little bigger.

However with your problem, have you ever looked at the clutch? Are you pretty hard on it? it could be slipping in the upper rpm ranges you describe. You mention the engine really screams when you get on the gas. So it sounds like the engine is performing like it should.

When you complained of the engine bogging were you in too high of a gear for your speed??

·
Ask me if I care
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im not really hard on my clutch. No reason to beat on it, not like its gonna my truck a speed demon. Umm now it any gear. Any rpm range. If Im starting in 1st going up a large grade hill or cruising at 80 on the highway, it bogs and lags regardless. Like today I was doing like 80 on the highway. A low grade hill came up, I was pegging it and my speed was still decreasing. So i down shifted to 4th, still bog and lag. Or I was on a main road in town (stop lights and all). Even babying the truck from a stop to 40 mph... I had to gas the piss outta it to make up for the bog and lag. Would a clutch gardually go? What are some other signs? Just last week I was able to chirp into 2nd. Hopefully after I take my cat off and hollow it out it will confirm or deny that theory.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
why not take it to the dealer and get a new cat put on for free, they have to because the truck is less than 7 yrs old and has less than 100K on it

·
Ask me if I care
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They will put a cat on for free? Whats the reason for that? So if I call them up and say I want my cat put on for free are they gonna think Im crazy. So what do I tell them?

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
If you got stuff rolling around inside the cat it needs to be replaced.I broke the catalyst inside on time going over a dip in the road and my cat slapped the ground.A big chunk broke and started turnning side ways inside ,and started choking the engine.

·
Ask me if I care
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stinky: Thats my theory. It sounds like something is lose inside. Not peices but something big enough to choke the engine.... a chunk it sounds like. one too many 70mph undercarriage scraps or too many 90psi to 0psi is 1sec flat truck-slams helped to break whatever is inside most likely. For the past two months or so I've been getting a vibrating sound from under my truck with every bump I hit. Sounded like something was lose... I went over every damn bolt or part under my truck and still couldnt find it. So i think my cat was the source of the rattling. I'm still in the process of hollowing my cat out. I'll end up ordering a new bolt in cat from discountconverter.com if it is indeed my cat that is f*cked up.

·
Registered
173 Posts
if something is rattling around inside there is almost no question your cat is gone.

as for your clutch, dont even give that a second thought. there is almost no way there's something wrong with your clutch at 47k. i have given mine hell for the past 8k (cause i am in the process of seriously modding my lil 2.2) my trucks' got 76k on it and it holds great. unless of course you have had your master or slave cylinder go bad.

and the (federal) law as i know of is 5 yr and 50k to get the cat replaced.

·
Ask me if I care
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I finally got my cat off and low and behold a big as chunk of that crap was loose inside. I have a 98...will the cat being hollowed throw a code now? If so, besides throwing a code and my check engine light coming on, will anything be messed up as a result...ie: killing my o2 sensor or something? I will have to try and call the dealer about the cat for free thingy.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts