S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I go to start my truck half the time it cranks like 4 or 5 times sputters and then starts up, other times it fires right up on the first crank or second. Anyone have this same problem. I put a header, CAI, and pulleys on it but I don't thing any of that is the problem. It does it whether it is warm or its the first start of the day.

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
When was your fuel filter last changed?
Last tune up?
May have a leaking fuel pressure regulator
May have a weak fuel pump

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Dirty fuel filter
Bad fuel pres. reg
Weak pump
Bad spark plugs

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump check valve. I haven't detected a correlation with weather and it acting up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
mine has the same problem, and after it starts itll blow a cloud of white smoke out of the exhaust, nothing constant just a small cloud then it clears up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well when I count to three then start it it usually starts right up.
Yup. You're losing fuel pressure while it sits, so priming the fuel system will make it start better.

Could be a leak somewhere or a totally failing fuel pump, but most likely are failing fuel pressure regulator or failing check valve in fuel pump (which would require a new fuel pump anyway...nobody has DIY repairs documented, although I'm going to try it).

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
funny how you have to do something special for our trucks to start up. I have this problem also. I am going to change the fuel filter and see if it is corrected.. don't think it will be so I am prepared to buy a FPR if need be.

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
Okay I had/have the excessive cranking too. I just changed the fuel filter last night. Same thing still happening.

A couple things. Before I changed the fuel pump 2.5 yrs ago it was hard start. It worked fine for a little while after the change, but happened again on like day 3. Since then it has had (2) different fuel filters. The hard start excessive crank has always been there.

Last night I went to the shrader valve and went to purge the excess pressure... only there was nothing that came out. Not a hiss, not a drop.

SO.. I am thinking it is the pressure regulator. I have some extra injectors laying around so If need be I will get to changing those out.. but next move is a new pressure regulator.

I will report back my findings.

·
Registered
927 Posts
grey wire going to relay should have power during start only check that other wise pump will not kick in till oil pressure comes up

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
bought a 1yr warranty piece at Autozone tonight $55.00ish. I hope to have time to install it tonight. I have also thought out the times it fires right up without me having to pump it. Let's hope this is the key.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts