S-10 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Jimmy, the kind of starter you have will determine the number of teeth on flexplate you will need. If your starter mounting bolts go straight, then you'll need the smaller 153 teeth flexplate. If the bolt pattern is crooked with the one closest to the block, you'll need the larger 168.

My recommendation is to determine if the flexplate is indeed cracked and, if yes, replace it sooner rather than later. While I haven't personally heard stories about flexplate failures, I'm sure the recovery and repairs are costly. Besides, safety for yourself and any riders is most important factor!

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah, I'm sure you are right about that. Safety is a concern for sure. Pretty sure issue this is the flexplate. When it warms up it expands and shuts up. It doesn't make any noise during the summer.

I appreciate the information, but man I am REALLY confused on how many teeth are supposed to be on this flexplate. None of these said 153. I saw 168 and 148. According to what I've just read, a 1991 S-10 has 148 teeth, and a 1994 Camaro has 142 teeth, yet are they not supposed to be interchangeable? I know the flywheels and clutches are not, but I was always under the impression that the auto flexplates were the same. I really want to upgrade this flexplate so I don't do this but once, but I can't really find anything. Ugh!!

I thank you for sure though. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Understand the conflicting information can cause a dilemma! The best approach is to take known facts such as, year make and model of your vehicle, the type of motor (tied to VIN), the starter bolt patter where it mounts to block, and continue doing research. I am certain, eventually, you'll be able to identify the correct replacement. However, the correct one will not be evident until you have them side by side and can make a positive visual comparison. Good luck!

·
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Understand the conflicting information can cause a dilemma! The best approach is to take known facts such as, year make and model of your vehicle, the type of motor (tied to VIN), the starter bolt patter where it mounts to block, and continue doing research. I am certain, eventually, you'll be able to identify the correct replacement. However, the correct one will not be evident until you have them side by side and can make a positive visual comparison. Good luck!
I feel like it should be the Camaro one. My truck has a 3.4 Crate engine. Wait...I think I have a parts list!

·
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here is the part number. 14097667 . Unfortunately I can't find anything heavier duty than that. All stock or aftermarket copies. This was a factory one that I believe to be broken so maybe I should try an aftermarket one. But the search for a HD unit is turning out to be fruitless.

·
Registered
613 Posts
153 and 168 are smallblock and big block - go by diameter, not teeth. The only smallblock I ever had with a large (168 tooth) flexplate was a 400. All big blocks have the big flexplate and flywheel. All the one piece rear main seal engines use the 153 tooth piece and in stock form they all have a weight welded to them for rotating assembly balance purposes. Front balancer is neutral on those engines. This is a different animal.

Does O'Reilley, AutoZone, etc. have one with a lifetime warranty? I know getting the part free isn't worth the trouble of replacing it, but it might stop the expense. And who knows, it might clear the OEM problem. I'm sure I could gather up a few at my local wrench a part but again, replacing it with the knowledge that it might happen again with a stock piece would lead me to at least give something else a shot - if there is such a thing.

·
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for the update man. It’s a 3.4 Crate engine. The stock plate is 14097667. 142 or 148 teeth depending on who lists it. I couldn’t find an SFI plate for it. Guess I’m gonna give this Pioneer brand a try. $60.

·
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
21 - 29 of 29 Posts