S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would there be any chance of getting a mandrel bent Y-pipe for the older style 4.3's? I see that SLP makes them for the newer Vortec's will this Y-pipe fit on my truck? Any answers are appreciated.

·
zippy
733 Posts
i thought about that if i buy headers that don't have a y pipe. i wonder if the edelbrock one included with their kit will work in place of a stock one? i'm sure it should be available seperatly.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
call your local exhaust shop. lots cheaper, no S&H, and you can get it whatever size you want.

·
2ManyS10's
2,013 Posts
I have Edlbrock TES headers on my 94 SS 4.3 CPI and it came with a bigger Y-Pipe...Cost on thoise were like 215 when i bought them...Check out Summit they have them...

·
12,507 Posts
i didnt know there were any long-tube headers for S-10's.

·
2ManyS10's
2,013 Posts
I have seen long tubes but dont know of anyone running them...

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have JBA ceramicoat headers right now ($500) :banghead: they seem to be great . Though I did have to cut the flanges to get the sensors to fit, and I had to bend the Y-pipe wider, and I had to through bolt the Header to Y-pipe flange (very hard to do). Im thinking I should have gotten the TES with the mandrel Y-pipe and got them jet hot coated.:bash:

·
12,507 Posts
ive heard, and ONLY heard, that the Edelbrock TES tend to rust out fairly quickly. I know the coating would slow that pricess down, tho.

·
2ManyS10's
2,013 Posts
Yah mine r starting to see some rust...U can get the coated ones from the direct...

·
Got spray? Got boost? (y)
3,084 Posts
They won't rust if they are coated though. I think the JBA's are a higher quality header though. I would make a y-pipe myself out of 2.25" tubing with mandrel bends. All you have to do is order them for like $15 a bend. Its expensive but worth it. I did my whole 3" with tail pipe with 45's and one 90*.

·
zippy
733 Posts
i agree the JBA's are higher quality. the edelbrock is just an overall nice bolt on kit that works out pretty well. the coating is nice to keep underhood temps down. the hotter the intake temp is, the less power you are going to make. a y-pipe made out of mandrel bent tubes could with some work be pieced together nicely with a flowmaster y and be a nice flowing y-pipe that'll fit how you'd want it.

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might just talk to a guy I know that does exhaust work here localy. Get him to make me a mandrel Y with the Flowmaster Y-collector and get the cat gutted at the same time. Thats probably good for a few more ponies? the Y I have now looks like a slinky and is very restrictive looking. too bad the Sonoma GT's look goofy with duals. I would love to get some dual exhaust.

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
If you plan on gutting the cat, just take it off and replace it with a pipe like I did... If you gut the cat it robs your power because of all of the exhaust going through the piping and then hitting the cat it gets bounced around in there and causes turbulance and therefor restricts airflow...

·
zippy
733 Posts
i'm just running a 2 1/2 exhaust with the gutted cat. the cat will soon be replaced on mine by a pipe due to weight. even empty a cat is heavy. single is fine to me. not much of a fan of duals on a v6, odd sound. it's also lighter running one pipe than 2.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts