S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a EGR plate from a steel blockoff from a 2004 Ecotec cavalier motor (I had to replace one already) I forgot the part number but it fit perfectly. its about 1/4" thick and is fairly soft steel. I was surprized by the off Idle torque I have now, its like night and day. Even the torsional vibration noise (false audible spark knock) GM Bulletin seemed to have gone away. If anyone is concidering doing this mod I would recommend it.:woah:

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve... Burns unburned gas in a nutshell... I did it to my truck... I love it

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The EGR is for emissions, like trancer said it re-burns the exhaust gasses. when you restrict it, there is more clean useable air entering your engine.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Im not saying yea or nay..... but I understand the EGR also lowers combustion chamber temps and help reduce pinging..... Dunno. Might be a myth to get people to keep them on but just a point.

I hate the EGR too but if you have to deal with emissions your probably going to need it from what i understand... the egr reduces nox emissions, which are caused by high combustion temps

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A guy in another post said he went one year, then did it again 2 years later with the EGR mod on and it had lower nox. I have a ping/rattle noise in my engine before I put the EGR mod on, now its gone. Maybe it works different for everyone??? But I know I dont regret doing it, as for the emissions, its a 10 minute deal, 2 bolts for the EGR and replace it without the restrictor plate and its good as new.

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
I have recieved nothing negative out of this mod

·
Registered
181 Posts
So I make a plate that completely blocks it off??? What do I do? Restrict which hole if it is restrictive, and not completely closed off. The solenoid port, or the open port? I just had to put a new EGR on for second time in 3 years. I ijust replaced the O2 sensor as well. Next on the list is the leaky intake. I hope to tackle that this weekend. but what exactly do I do for this illustrious EGR mod. And will it F with the computer?

·
Insane Network Engineer
5,965 Posts
No it's restrictive... Never ever good to completely block it off... you can find the 95 and below plans here... http://www.s10planet.com/tech_older_egr.htm

it shows the TBI EGR in the how-to but the same applies for the CPI version... 96 and up require a fitting... You can purchase both at www.s10planet.com

What this mod WILL give you...
Slightly better throttle response
Some additional low end torque
Slightly better gas miledge (2-4 mpg)
Reduced nox emissions (possibly, but does not increase them as a complete block off will)
Smoother idleing

What this mod won't give you:
Gobs of hp
Performance at WOT..(The EGR is not in use at wot)

For what it costs, it's one of those mods that give the most bang for the buck...

·
carries a gun at work
1,984 Posts
check out the performance thread at mys10.com you can get them cheaper for the 96+ 4.3's

yea its a bad idea to totally block it off. but if you restrict it you still get the benefits(lower combustion chamber temps, reduced emissions) but also less carbonizing of the intake and better power.

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
If you get any pinging at all, remove it.

Some people install it and it works fine, some people install it and it causes bad detonation.

It's your choice, but if you get any detonation or pinging from it, there is no point having it.

Try it out, it could work for you.

·
2nd place is the1st loser
238 Posts
I just done it to my Z28.Nothing but great results.It gave me very noticeable bottom end power and good mid range power.The LS1 was very very happy with it.Out of all the ones I have done it to the Z has had the best results.Its the latest one I have done it to.My S10 had very good results to.I have posted on it several times so I wont go on about it.No it wont give you big gains.It will give be very noticeable though. I would reccomend it to anyone for a cheap good mod....... :racing:

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
i borrowed this from a previous post "First the EGR mod, why its brought into the 1/4 times game is beyond reasoning.
Fact EGR is shut completely off at 70% throttle. So lets say you launch low so you dont
fry your tires. OK egr is operational until the pedal hits 70%, how long is that?? Now
your trying to say for that split second having it on helps, helps what? Why does GM not
continue EGR operation at all times except idle? Why does every programmer delete
EGR operation, or at least offer it? Why dont people in every form of racing us EGR if its
such a good thing? I could go on, but this ones is completely unfounded and beyond
common sense reasoning.

EGR
is trapped forward and under low loads air has a hard time reaching the rear cylinders.
Funny they all say it comes alive around 3000 or so just when the EGR operation is shut
down and the throttle plate is more open so the rears can breathe easier.

·
12,507 Posts
in essence, he's saying that the EGR mod is a bad thing, for multiple reasons. it raises combustion temps, causes loss of low-end torque, that kind of stuff. personally, i would never do it to any vehicle i own. but thats just me.

·
2nd place is the1st loser
238 Posts
I am not even going get in to this arguement again.Or explain how that is all wrong.A simple search will show how that statement is wrong.

·
12,507 Posts
thats fine. but you cannot say that the EGR mod does not raise combustion temps, because it does. its also been proven in some vehicles to CAUSE pinging and knock. its just another generic, cheap ass mod, like the IAT and descreening MAF mods, which will eventuall be proven to screw up engines as much as the MAF mutilation does.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Someone did some editing on one of my posts!!!

"First the EGR mod, why its brought into the 1/4 times game is beyond reasoning. "
I dont know where that came from, but in a 1/4 mile at WOT at all times, EGR for the most part is off, correct!!

"Fact EGR is shut completely off at 70% throttle."
Correct

"So lets say you launch low so you dont
fry your tires. OK egr is operational until the pedal hits 70%, how long is that?? Now
your trying to say for that split second having it on helps, helps what?"

If the EGR is on until 70% throttle is met, you start out with a diluted air fuel mix, that cant be good.

"Why does GM not
continue EGR operation at all times except idle?"

Thats a true statement, GM knows it hampers idle ability so its not on there. They also know it hampers power making and under WOT bursts for like passing, entering traffic etc. its shut off to gain whats available without it hampering/diluting the mix.

"Why does every programmer delete
EGR operation, or at least offer it?"
Statement was, as it stands, if EGR was such a good thing why do reflashing people remove it, after all there looking mor max power.

"Why dont people in every form of racing us EGR if its
such a good thing?"

Again statement says if EGR is good for all the crap people claim, lets see dragsters, Nascar and the likes run it!!

"I could go on, but this ones is completely unfounded and beyond
common sense reasoning."

Well???

"EGR is trapped forward and under low loads air has a hard time reaching the rear cylinders.
Funny they all say it comes alive around 3000 or so just when the EGR operation is shut
down and the throttle plate is more open so the rears can breathe easier."

This was stated about the defuser removal deal. Most say they feel the removal making the motor come to life, it isnt the case, what is above is!!

Your gonna borrow something, especially from one of my posts, dont bunch it up without understanding what you read!!

It does not raise the combustion/ cylinder temps.

It adds low end torque, driveablility!!!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts