S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
NOBAMA NOBAMA
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this problem?? Most of the time when we get a good rain my distributer gets wet and truck wont crank.Dont know if the water is coming through the hood cowl or the squirters on the hood.

Is this common or am I the only one?? Is there a fix for this?

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
you could seal the cap to the distributor with some petroleum jelly or axle grease, you dont need much, just a thin bead around the meeting surface

also, while you have the cap off, spray the contacts with a silicone spray like wd40, it will keep moisture off of them and prevent the spark from arcing around where it shouldnt be

·
NOBAMA NOBAMA
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not sure if it is coming through the air inlet or the washer squirters(cheap autozone speacials) but ive got water comin in somewhere

·
V8 with bags
7,374 Posts
you have another problem then. I had a open ram air hood for years and the only time it would cause any problems is if my spark plug wires had a melted spot in them (v8 swap headers). If i had good plug wires and a good cap i could ride around in the pouring rain. And with a open stingwray style ram air scoop and no inner fenders, it got lots of water. Now i have a steel cowl hood and and it gets tons less water

·
NOBAMA NOBAMA
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a side note I was lkg at my dist cap and notice a small pinhole(a vent maybe?) on the top driver side of the cap
its a autozone special,and i cant remember if a delco cap has the same hole

1 - 7 of 7 Posts