S-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mike D.
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my 97 sonoma ext stepside is bag all around and the front is a little under 4 inches from laying out. i'm running 225/60/16...
i was thinking a 2 or 3 drop spindle then cutting the lca hump... will that be enough?

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
that would depend on whats preventing you from laying out.... but with that tire size, even with the mods you described, you're still looking at being around 3" from laying unless you remove the wheel wells and tub the firewall. Also, you won't find a 3" drop spindle anywhere... s-10's only have 2" drop spindles available for them.

·
Drag it or Park it
502 Posts
spindles will make a big difference, and get some smaller tires

·
Mike D.
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
k thanks, the spindels will get me half way there maybe smalller tire like a 40?

·
former owner
7,389 Posts
minkistinkis said:
k thanks, the spindels will get me half way there maybe smalller tire like a 40?
No, Dropping from 225/60/16 to a 225/40/16 would be a difference of over 3 inches. Also, since that is a 23.08" diameter tire, it will throw your speedo off by 11% from the stock reading. That's a bit drastic.

I'd say a 225/50/16 and drop spindles.

·
Vandelay Industries
6,018 Posts
I have 225-55-16s. I had to massage the firewall to get mine to lay right at the top of the stock wheel arch in the firewall. I had to beat that back a little bit. When i lay out there is enough room to slide a credit card between the tire and the arch in the firewall. Drop spindles and flattening out your LCA will make a huge difference. I also had to shorten my top bag cup to get mine to lay. You may or may not have to. Mine is an 86. not sure of the differences in stock firewall wheel arches.

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
I think spindles would help, but I would drop down to like a 225/40/18 tire (thats what I have) and that would help some. I am still like 1/2" from laying out, but I am NOT gonna butcher up my front fenders

·
Mike D.
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds like definatly spindles and then lca. if i need it i'll change tires from there...but i definatly don't want an 11% change on my speedo.
as far as the firewall goes i got about a good 5 inches till i hit...so i'll be fine there.

·
Mike D.
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you think i'd still need to "de-hump" my lca or just run a small tire....is there a way to adjust the speedo and that stuff for the smaller tire?

·
former owner
7,389 Posts
minkistinkis said:
is there a way to adjust the speedo and that stuff for the smaller tire?

Yes.

But even then, you'll still get less gas mileage because these trucks are geared to get their best mileage (which isn't much) at a particular tire diameter. And with the way the prices are going back up, I wouldn't be putting smaller tires on. But that's me.

·
Mike D.
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
could i put smaller tires on front and leave the back tires where they are? would that help gas mileage?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes you can put the small tires up front to lay out and keep the stock height in back to keep the speedo and gas gauge happy.

·
Mike D.
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, i didn't think the front tires would mess up the speedo stuff.
thanks for all the help guys

·
Mike D.
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i dont plan on running huge ass rims so i won't need to tub the firewall. like i said before i have plenty of room back there. i just want my truck layed totally out before my schools car show. i have alot to do so i was looking for a quicky for the front

1 - 17 of 17 Posts