S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just picked up my 97 S-10 Std. cab 2.2 5-speed from the dealer with 75,000 miles... So its a new truck to me, and from reading around i see its normal that the engine is very loud, but there seems to be this odd, dull, "knocking" noise at (i guess) around 3,000 rpms...

Anyway, theres also a loud whining noise and since im taking it back for a new fuel sending unit (ran outa gas cus it said it was full tank) im going to have them check into the whining sound to.

But my quesiton, i just checked the oil and the dumbasses at the dealer have about a extra quart over in there, the oil comes up to there the line starts that says "operating level", not at the arrow, but where the damn text starts!!!

Could this be causing a the knocking sound? Im afraid to drain some because then ive eliminated my proof that it was over filled... but im thinking the sooner i get the level right the better off ill be.

Thanks,
-Ben

·
Work In Progress
191 Posts
The more oil the more oil pressure the more that needs to escape. If too much oil is in there the noise is the least of your problems, seals are only rated at certain pressures.

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea thats what i was thinking, im leaving the oil as it is and im about to step out to the dealer, baby it the whole way but i want the manager to see what his mechanics are doing.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
The oil pump and oil passage clearances (including in the bearings) dictate oil pressure, not oil level.

Too much oil can cause problems like foaming and possibly the piston skirts contacting the top of the oil level in the pan, which would cause some strange sounds and possible (but unlikely) damage. Usually extra oil will eventually be blown out the valve cover vent.

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i dropped it off at the dealer, and when i took him for a drive the whining went away and was replaced by a metal rattle... i think the a/c compressor died.. He said the new sound didnt concern him but the low pitched nock at low rpms really bothered him, but the service bay is closed until monday so he said he'll have one of his senior techs look at it for me and ill prob have it back monday after school.

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He is right though, the only pressure is the pressure in the passages where the oil flows, but really there isnt any pressure inside the crankcase... take off your oil cap and put your hand over the tube, you wont feel any pressure.

I remember having a conversation about this a while back, but completely forgot till he said that

·
Registered
312 Posts
I ran 5 quarts in my truck for 4 years and i havnt' had any problems and it has over 182,000 on it. But then i realized that there should only be 4.

·
Work In Progress
191 Posts
If you have 4 quarst of oil in a sealed 2 gallon contaier and heat it up what will happen? I think the oil will expand and depending on the vent the oil has to go somewher along with the pressure built from expansion. When to see your valve cover leaking or oil coming out the filler cap or dipstick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts