S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I figured up what it would take to repaint my blazer and I was kinda shocked, overall there will be six and a half gallons of material!?!? I wanted to stick with the same brand and I've heard somegood things about hok paint. Do you guys think this will do me as far as spray material? Do all these products react well to one another? Is there anything that would look the same or better for a little cheaper?

Stage HOK PN# mix ratio Quantity Cost Total
Sealer KS11-GL 4 pts. primer:1pt.KU150:1pt. RU 1 Gallon 59.99 per gal $59.99
Base BC25-GL 2 PARTS COLOR : 1 PART RU 1 Gallon 91.78 per gal $91.78
Color - Oriental Blue KBC04 2 PARTS COLOR : 1 PART RU 3 Quarts 35.14 per qt $105.42
Clear UC35-GL 2 pts clear:1pt. KU150:1pt. RU 1 Gallon 89.99 per gal $89.99
Reducer- Fast Reducer RU310 2 Gallons 32.99 per gal $65.98
Catalyst KU150-QT used in sealer & Clear 3 Quarts 43.99 per qt $131.97
Total Materials 6.5 Gallons $545.13

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, I copied it from an excel worksheet I made up.

·
WANTED: 4" Bodydrop
686 Posts
well 6.5 seems a little high to me but off the top of my head you will use no more than a gallon of base on the truck and depending on how thick or flat you want the clear no more than .5 gallons. then reducer and catalyst and primer and sealer all depend on what you are primering and what kind of mixing ratio your paints are...

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, so pretty much I should just cut back on the clear. Well I guess it's better to have too much material than not enough.

·
Ol' Skool Member
395 Posts
I think if i remember right i bought around 6 gallons of stuff .. and ended up using around 4.5-5 gal. of stuff... what was leftover i couldnt tell ya.. this was a while back... But yes HOK is quality stuff.. i used PPG and it came out pretty nice since i sprayed it myself.

good luck man!

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool, now I just gotta save up the dough...

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
I dont think I would ever use HOK unless I was useing one of their speciaty lines. IMO it is way over priced and PPG is just as good if not better. HOK is so pricey becasue of its name. Valspar, the company that makes HOK, has some pretty good paints and they are some of the cheapest on the market price wise. that should tell you something.... Same company, 2 different names, 2 different prices.

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't think that $545.13 was a bad price for all of the material I'm getting. HOK is one of the only companies that will quote paint to anyone over the internet. I went to the PPG site but they won't give any prices, & my local PPG distributor is higher then hell since not that many people around here do their own bodywork.
Basicly I live out in BFE and the local paint supplier sells stuff cheap to the bodyshops to keep them from going out of town, so they raise the price to the individual to make up for the initial loss. I call it "small town ethics." This also promotes people to use the bodyshops. For a lower cost I'd have to drive a couple hundred miles atleast, and that's definately more costly then ordering off the net.

Just my .02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts