S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got this 00 xtreme fleet side a few months ago, and for the most part I'm pretty happy with it, but it's not exactly what I was looking for. I really wanted to get a step-side but I figured that I would sacrifice it because of the great price that I got on this one, plus the fact that my old car was crapping out hardcore. Anyway, the more I see the xtreme step-sides around town the more I regret not spending the extra time and money to get one. So my question is simple...what do you think the total cost (parts and labor) would be to put a stepside bed on there? Also, what do you think I could get for my bed if I sold it?

Thanks for your time.

=X=

·
Banned
18,005 Posts
the swap itself is simple. i wouldn't pay anybody to swap a bed.

all you would need are a few sockets, a few buddies to help move the bed, and the bed/bumper.

first you would need to remove the bumper from the mounts on the frame. this is the bumper brackets too!! not just the bumper there are 6 bolts (3 on each frame rail), pull those 6 bolts out, then climb out from underneath, and pull the bumper out of the frame. next you'll have to disconnect the grounds, there is one on each frame rail, and disconnect your tail light plug. next you'd need to open your gas door, unbolt the hose from the bed, and remove the gas cap. next, climb back under, and behind the axle, there are 4 bolts that you access thru the bottom frame rail. in front of the axle, just go from under the side of the truck, there are 2 bolts on each side, and there is a pair of mounts that are welded to the frame. the front 4 bolts can be accessed from the side of the truck as mentioned. once all that is done. get like 3 other friends, and just lift the bed up, and backwards. go slow, make sure not to rip off the gas filler neck, and to make sure nothing else is hung up on the bed anywhere.

it's honestly really simple. if ya have any questions, i'm more than happy to help ya

(btw, i'm with you. stepside looks MUCH better than fleetside:thumbup: )

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. Maybe I just have a severe case of pussyidous...but that sounds kinda difficult to me. But I bet it's something that I could accomplish.

What do you think a complete stepside bed would run...salvage and new? Can you even buy a full bed section from a salvage yard...and what price do you think I could get for my fleet side bed...and where's the best place to try and sell it? A salvage yard wouldn't give me anything, and it's way to big to ship...so ebay is out.

Sorry for all of the questions, this is not something I'm really familiar with.

Thanx again
=X=

·
Early Member
3,114 Posts
xrated, I checked on ebay for a stepside bed. Found one for $799.95. I would also check your local news paper. I would think if a junkyard had a good stepside bed they would sell it.

·
Registered Stepsider!!!!!
569 Posts
Just remember, the rear Xtreme pieces are different for the fleetside, and stepside unless you get a stepside xtreme bed, the don't worry about it :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok...so basically I would not only have to find a stepside bed, but more specifically a stepside bed off of an xtreme or zq8?

=X=

·
Registered Stepsider!!!!!
569 Posts
or you can buy the two rear pieces for the stepside, the bed front pieces are the same, and the rear stepside bumper is the same for X's and regular ones.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah a stepshaver would be a must. I realize that I'm an idiot and all...but I'm just not understanding the difference between the xtreme beds and the regualr beds? Is it the steps? Would getting a stepshaver kit take care of that problem? I'm sorry to be annoying, I'm just not fully understanding.

Thanx for all of your help.

=X=

1 - 14 of 14 Posts