S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
JD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so i got an 89 s-10 with the 4.3 v-6. I have tried a ford tarus fan but they just keep frying on me. So i am thinking about getting a flex-a-lite flx-60. It says it puts out 2800 cfm. I was wondering if anyone knew about what the stock clutch fan puts out and if this fan would keep mytrckcool enough. Any help would be appretiated.

·
Registered
591 Posts
i'm lookin into buying a electric fan out of the LMC TRUCK catalog and it's only $100

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
CFM matters :) Amperage can too though.

A cheaper new fan alternative to the Flex-a-lite is the Perma-cool high performance fans. My 14" one only draws 9 amps (vs 13 for the flex-a-lite) and pulls 2950 CFM. Even when hauling heavy stuff around in the bed, in traffic, the truck never creeps past the 192/195 mark. You'll pay ~$100 for one of those, and ~$15-20 for a wiring and thermostat kit.

Search for a thread labeled "e-fan reliability" and you'll find oodles of information about various options.

·
JD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah the perm a cool sounds a lot better than the flex-a-lite. Will probably go with that fan. Do yuo have any pics of the fan nater006?? just wanting to see what it looks like installed.

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
I'll snap some tonight. It doesn't come with a shroud, but the 14" model at least (pulls the same as the 16" model) fits fine inside the stock shroud. You can't see it unless you lean over the shroud and look back to the radiator. Lots of clearance between it and the water pump shaft.

·
JD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my tarus fan cooled fine. but it would blow fuses everynow and tehn and then it finally stopped working at all. I am just looking for a fan with lower amperage and somewhat cost effective.

·
JD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i just want to buy a new fan and not a used one. The fan i had was used so i kinda wat to go new. I have read a few post on the perma cool fan and everyone seem to like it and says it works great. And its not $205 like the flex-a-lite.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts