S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got done finishing my 1985 s10. I put in a sbc 355 I built this motor form the ground up. IT made 485hp on the engine dyno. I have a 4core brass/copper rad. with a belt driven fan. Driving down the road its fine 175 deg. but stopped it climbs fast. I shut it down at 230. I know i could go with a elec. fan but i dont have the money to get a $200 set of fans. do you thing that a fan rated at 2800cfm would cool it good enough.

Also i have some pick of the engine build up and swap, but i need help resizing them so i can post them.

thanks Jeff

·
Registered
321 Posts
If it stays cool while it's moving, and heats up when sitting it's an air flow problem.

I'm running a 10" and 12" combo of fans.They're the cheap ones,Hayden I think.Runs cool.

·
Registered
619 Posts
if he has a clutch fan, its the clutch.... fan might be spinning but not moving enough air

assuming your water pump is new too..... seen them not flow enough water until revved (IE driving) because they become worn out......rare, but happens

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the truck has a new water pump also ans the fan does not have a clutch. The fan is kinda far away from the rad. I really want a elect. fa but dont know what one will work the best. If someone could tell me the best one to go with that will last a long time let me know.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You need to put a fan shroud around the fan. It's sucking air from everywhere but through the radiator.

·
IMBLOWN
977 Posts
If you've got a good shroud, It doesn't make a difference how close the fan is to the radiator...

When and if you get electric fans, make sure you utilize most, if not all of the surface area of your radiator...If you don't have all the sq. in. of your radiator covered, you might not cure anything...

I'm running a stock 4.3L radiator and flexalite 212 setup that covers ALL of the radiator...I've idled in gear for 25 minutes in a traffic jam in 103 degree weather...Never got above 185. :D

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
amen 4.3 raid and flex 210 is what i got and i tryed 3 fan setups nothing worked good the 4.3 and 210 is awasom it fits the 4.3 raid like it was ment for it

·
Registered
321 Posts
You'll also want to make sure there are no gaps between the support and the radiator.All the air needs to go through it and not around it.I sealed the top gap on mine with soft pipe insulation and dropped engine temps 15 degrees.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
210 comes with a fan shroud and a rubber boot that wraps the raid

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 210.The rubber boot seals the fan to the radiator,right?I was referring to the seal between the radiator and radiator support.So the air entering the grill doesn't flow around the radiator.

On mine I had a 3 core,the tanks touched the support and left a 1/2" or better gap between the fins and the top of the support.When I turned on my pusher fans,I could feel more air coming out the top than what was going through the fins.(path of least resistance).Obviously,different radiators will have different fits.May not be his problem,just something I ran into before

·
Registered
8 Posts
i'm running a 355 as well, 400hp, no belt driven fan, just a 4.3 rad(heavyduty/with air etc..) with a 160 thermostat,and a single permacool 14" 2950 fan, it cools it fine, had it rise a few times on hot days, but it never passed 220, also use a tranny cooler to take some load off the rad,I am also using the "horseshoe" that came off 4.3 vans, this allowed me to use a serpetine belt and use the "newer" style of water pump that runs backwards,hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts