S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day my dad was telling me about when my aunt's ex husband used to drag race, and how he got more horsepower out of an engine. He said that they took soup cans, cut them in half, put them around the fuel lines and filled the can with ice water, so the fuel would be cooler meaning more complete combustion. Anybody ever try this on a duke?

·
Cool, Tight, & STRONG....
1,942 Posts
So the other day my dad was telling me about when my aunt's ex husband used to drag race, and how he got more horsepower out of an engine. He said that they took soup cans, cut them in half, put them around the fuel lines and filled the can with ice water, so the fuel would be cooler meaning more complete combustion. Anybody ever try this on a duke?
===
Jake--

Your Dad's story is correct. Back in the day, I used to drag race Pontiacs.

I used a commercially made "Cool Can" to cool the incoming fuel. It was an alloy can about the size of a coffee can, with fuel line tubing coiled up inside it (hard line).
We then packed it inside with dry ice, and then screwed the lid on. My 1960 two-door post ran consistently 1 or two tenths quicker with it. No mess no fuss.

Cool gasoline is denser (you can pack more of it into a given space)..and on the 7th day there was the 180* t-stat mod..:haha:..takes me back....

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Cooled fuel is less likely to detonate than hot fuel. Hotrodded engines with high compression need high octane fuel that resists detonation.

Your stock Duke is not near detonation as the compression ratio is easily handled with pump gas. If you were to turbo the engine it may be worth considering.

·
Boozebag
10,092 Posts
SE, I still have some of those old Pontiacs... At least the engines - and 1 Firechicken :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts