S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
the Zen of S10
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone explain the thermostat mod? What the process is in making the engine perform better. I guess this is a stupid question for you out there who are inclined but prior to doing my gen II mod, I was limited to oil changes and a k&n drop in. Oh, and I maintain the air levels in my tires too! Just curious, I notice people who use the PP3 often install the 160 degree thermo at same time. Is it a good idea to install one anyway, without the PP3? justify?

·
life begins @ 20 psi
674 Posts
A cooler running engine is a happier engine. Outside decreasing the chance of detonation if you advance your timing, why not do it? A thermostat can be had for under $10! Just a word of caution though if you live in an area where they do emissions testing. A cooler thermostat will made it harder to pass because the offending gases don't get burned due to the cooler temps. HTH

Mike

·
I hate working on trucks
682 Posts
I put a powerstat in my 2001 sonoma and a week later the SES light came on. I got the powerstat because I got a PP3 and they said to install one. I called Hypertech and they said the new Sonomas have that problem when you change the stat. Why didn't they tell me that before I installed it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I put in a 160 when I switched electric fans. Its works great especially in the summer and I didnt have any heating problems in the winter. The main reason newer engines have the 195 stats is to keep the engine running hot so the emissions are cleaner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.