S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I have an '83 S-10 4X4 with the 2.8L. It's in great shape, and I'd really like to get the temp gauge working because it's the only thing holding me back from driving long distances.

I swear this gauge was working a year or so ago, and then suddenly stopped responding to temp changes. So far I have done the following to try to get it to respond:
  • Unplugged from sender and grounded lead to the block to test gauge connection. The gauge swung hard past the scale, so I know the gauge works and has connection to the lead.
  • Replaced the temp sender with one from rock-auto. I used part number '1T1011' from rock auto. I did have to cut off the old connector on the lead and replace it with a spade connector due to the updated sender having a different connector. No dice, still no response to temperature. Gauge still responds to grounding the new connector.
  • Replaced the thermostat today and topped off coolant in radiator. I used part number 'THM237' from NAPA. Let the top tube on the radiator become warm, still no response on the gauge. Heat in cab was blasting hot, so I know the engine was at operating temperature. I did notice there wasn't pressure in the top tube, is that normal? The tube was squishy at operating temp.
Any ideas? Just so strange that the gauge is seemingly functional, but is still unresponsive to engine temps.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,832 Posts
I think you bought the wrong part. The description from Rockauto
WVE 1T1011 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Switch Info
Engine Coolant Temperature; w/ Light

Reactions: PickleBumps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you bought the wrong part. The description from Rockauto
WVE 1T1011 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Switch Info
Engine Coolant Temperature; w/ Light
You are absolutely right! Wow. The correct sender and this thing look exactly the same. Thanks so much for catching that!
Would this be the right part then? More Information for ULTRA-POWER 1T1008. The "w/ gauge" callout in the info is throwing me off for some reason.

·
Been there Done it
14,404 Posts
That should work
Just me, but I'd go for a bit better quality than a $3 sender. But they're all made in China, so I guess it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If that doesn’t work, the circuit board of the gauge cluster may be bad. I had to replace one in my Olds a couple years ago, as well is replace the tach circuit boards in both that car and my ‘84 S15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Been there Done it
14,404 Posts
Glad to here you got it fixed. That's how we all learn and your post may help someone down the line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts