S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive noticed when i drive my truck several miles or just enough to get it hot i can smell antifreeze when i pop the hood....took me a while to find where it is coming from but i think i found it...right in the middle of the engine between the fan and the air intake is a large radiator hose that goes into a silver metal piece then a smaller prob 3/4" metal pipe goes into the motor...right where the smaller metal pipe comes out of the metal piece is where it is leaking...not much at all though...but when it leaks it is dripping onto a pulley right below and is getting on the belt..anyone know what to do to fix it?? it may be the thermostat housing piece not really sure though?????

·
Do what now?
747 Posts
from what you explained yah that sounds like the thermostat housing. What I would do, is just go buy a new thermostat probably only about 20 dollars at the most and a new rubber gasket for it. Drain the fluid, replace the thermostat and gasket and refil the fluid. That sounds like that might fix it.

Should only be two or three easily accesible screws to removed that housing, after you pull it off you will see the thermostat, just pull it out and replace it.

·
Do what now?
747 Posts
you know what though just to make sure before you go buy anything you might wanna see if you can get a picture of what you are talking about so we can better diagnose the problem. Money is tight for me right now, and I personally wouldn't want to go spend money on something that won't fix the problem.

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i believe it is the thermostat housing because i looked in my el cheapo haynes truck manual....yeah i see the 3 bolts your talking about.... the left side toards the battery has the big 3" rubber radiator hose going into the housing and on the other side towrds the driver side is the small metal pipe coming out..where the small metal pipe comes out(this pipe is angled prob at 45 degrees) it has a little liquid there....i dont have a camera yet....if you can go take a look at your truck and see if this is what im explaining....thanks for the help supr

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
supr2nr...i just did a search and thi eems to be common....everyone said that it leaks where the heater pipe is pressed into the thermostat housing....one guy said he tried to resolder it back in but the solder doesnt stick good to aluminum.....ill see if my mechanic might can hook me up with something

·
Do what now?
747 Posts
yah what I would try, since its the cheapest route would be just to buy a new thermostat and gasket and replace your old one. Plus, hey!, it may be time for a new thermostat anyways!

·
Registered
173 Posts
db machine said:
one guy said he tried to resolder it back in but the solder doesnt stick good to aluminum
Um yeah, the solder would melt as soon as the housing got hot. Which would be in like 2 minutes of driving.

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
378 Posts
The last time my truck leaked anti-freeze like you are talking about...I ended up having to replace the almighty head-gasket these trucks blow up over and over.

It's expensive and you have to get a custom machines part and tear down your header and pretty much the entire block to get to it.

Really, really sucks man. Pray that it's not your head-gasket!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got the same problem too. I just replaced the thermostat and gasket, but there is still a leak. I'm going to try some high temp gasket sealer. Does anyone know it that will work?

·
2003 Xtreme
54 Posts
Re: High Temp RTV

Dealer does not think so. I have this same leak on a 2003 w/1,650 miles. It seeps about a teardrop size droplet whenever I shut it off and let it cool overnight.

When it's running, no leak. Whatever liquid that came out evaporates/dries.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts