S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Minitrucker
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed i had a coolant leak last week and just got around to see where it is coming from. Thought it might have been the water pump gasket or something but turned out to be another gasket. It is leaking right below the egr. How would i go about fixing this. Stop leak or replace the gasket? I know replacing the gasket would be best but which gasket is it and what all do i have to take apart to get to it?

·
long live italy.
636 Posts
i don't think stop leak can do much (at least not for long) for a leaky gasket. I think you would be best to tear into it, flush your cooling system, and just replace the gasket with a felpro or mr.gasket. I can't get much from those pictures since i'm used to looking at my 93...and it's early in the morning :D

But there's been numerous accounts of dex cool eating some plastic gaskets GM put in those trucks.
I'd switch to good ol green after i replaced the gasket!

·
Minitrucker
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thats what i though. i will just have to live with it for a couple weeks until i have time to tear it apart as it is my daily driver. anybody know what gasket it might be?

·
STUNTiN ON THEM GRANNiES.
403 Posts
2.2.? or 4.3? i no mine had a leak right on the intake manifold and it was the radiator hose had a tear right at the bottom .. so i cut a half an inch off and put it bck on and it never leaked again..

·
2,679 Posts
1st: Make sure it's not getting into your oil or combustion chamber...
Coolant in the oil will destroy your engine fast!

Also make sure that the coolant isn't being blown from another leak and ending up there. On my 289 mustang, I get coolant there every time I check the radiator while it is running.

If it is leaking there, Don't run it. Fix it right away. Pull the intake and be careful setting the new gaskets.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Very probably the lower intake gasket near the thermostat housing. The RTV on the front of the lifter valley typically bulges out there and is adjacent to a coolant passage. It's a prime leak site.

·
Minitrucker
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it is a 98 4.3 and just changed the oil last week and there was no coolant in the oil. It looks to be the lower intake manifold but it seems to be RTV bulging out vs a gasket. So i guess the best was to fix it is to tear into it and replace the gasket and RTV.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The RTV goes on the front and rear valley lips and blends into the gaskets on each head near the coolant passages.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts