S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from a blown head gasket, cracked or warped head and a cracked block, is there any other way for coolant to get into the cylinders?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cleaned up the block, had the head decked, pressure tested and replaced the head gasket. it's still burning coolant. I didn't see any visual cracks in the cylinders, so I'm just wondering if there is another possibility of coolant getting into the cylinders.

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
541 Posts
What makes you think you're burning coolant? When you said you cleaned up the block... what exactly did you do/use to accomplish this? Did you check the block with a straight edge? Was the surface of the block pitted at all? Did you use a multilayer steel or composite head gasket?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What makes you think you're burning coolant? When you said you cleaned up the block... what exactly did you do/use to accomplish this? Did you check the block with a straight edge? Was the surface of the block pitted at all? Did you use a multilayer steel or composite head gasket?
Lots of white smoke and liquid coming out of the tail pipe along with the coolant level dropping.

I used a razor blade, scotch bright pad and a scotch bright type wheel on a drill.

I don't have a straight edge and there was very minor pitting.

I used a composite gasket.

The block may very well be the issue. I just wanna make sure there aren't any other possibilities before I pull the engine out.

·
time to get cereal
3,916 Posts
Did you use new head bolts and torque them properly?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The egr plate gasket on my 1995 2.2l failed leading to a cracked exhaust port on no 4. Replaced that cast iron plate gasket twice thinking i didnt clean it off good enough because of its location behind the head. Still was leaking coolant out the tailpipe. I of course had to repalce the head. That was a PINA.

That EGR plate has 2 different versions. If you have it on yours I'd check to see if it's cracked and has the right gasket installed.

I use Permatex Copper gasket sealer on both sides of that gasket now. Also use the solid felpro head gasket orange/brown colored. Works perfect every time.

I'd pull the head to check for sure. I've also reused the ' stretched headbolts with no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts