S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed coolant between the pass. side valve cover and the intake manifold yesterday and soaked it up with paper towels. I drove her 70 miles this morning and its back.

I was thinking intake manifold gasket but doesn't the coolant usually mix with the oil? I drive at least 150 miles a week, check the oil every week, and it looks great.

What do you guys think. This is my daily so I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks.

·
Administrator
20,896 Posts
First thing to do is clean the area off...but...it looks like its leaking from the radiator hose or thermostat housing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing to do is clean the area off...but...it looks like its leaking from the radiator hose or thermostat housing.

Changed the thermostat with a new gasket a couple weeks ago but I'll check it out and the hose.

Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that I took a closer look it does look like theirs a mark going down the manifold from the housing like it was wet before. Will putting gasket sealer around the housing then bolting it down do the trick?

·
Administrator
20,896 Posts
What kind of gasket did yu use? I've never had to use sealer. You might check the housing and the manifold to make sure they are straight. If you must use sealer, get The Right Stuff by Perma-Tex.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The thermostats in my 87 and 92 use a rubber ring seal around the outside of the thermostat. Those do not come with the stat and have to be bought separetly. O'reilies has them separate.

Bonestock

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thermostats in my 87 and 92 use a rubber ring seal around the outside of the thermostat. Those do not come with the stat and have to be bought separetly. O'reilies has them separate.

Bonestock
Hmmm. When I got the thermostat, from oriellys, it came with that rubber ring. Think I'm gonna try the permatex. It's a tiny leak so it should get the job done.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cant believe I was thinking it was an intake manifold gasket. I need to take it slower next time and thoroughly examine.

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
Suggestion:
I bought a tstat housing gasket (Felpro) and installed the O ring.
No more leaky.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just ended up tightening the clamp on the hose real good with a 5/16 and rachet. Took it for 60 miles, checked, not a single drop. I think I'm going to start using the 5/16 instead of the flathead for these clamps

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
BTW... ^^^ nice throttle return spring. Any pressure on the pedal?? :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
5 Participants
Boulky12
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing