S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 GMC SONOMA 2.2 eng. can anyone tell me where to drain the coolant at as I do not see a petcock anywhere only a plastic plug that does not look to be removable on the bottom of the radiator. THANKS!

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
2000 GMC SONOMA 2.2 eng. can anyone tell me where to drain the coolant at as I do not see a petcock anywhere only a plastic plug that does not look to be removable on the bottom of the radiator. THANKS!
Should be Left hand aft lower side of raditor. There should be a little drain hose hanging down from it also that is really easy to spot if you get under the truck.

·
is a fungineer
6,109 Posts
The plastic plug actually is the petcock. If you get a good look at it (I just don't remember) it either pulls out and then turns, or turns then pulls out. It's kind of a pain in the ass to do, but if you can get a good look at it you'll know which way it needs to go.

·
Super Moderator
20,491 Posts
yup, you can use the plier, becareful, I broke mine off, got new 1 from dealership cheaper than auto zone lol, turns left to loosen and it'll pop off, if broken, try loosen and rip it off, install by pushin it in then it goes in smoother

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having been in there and done it yesterday, the drain plug is white nylon and has a 1/4" drive hole. A short extension on a 1/4" ratchet will open the petcock. That or a 5/16 flat blade screwdriver fits in the 1/4" diagonally and will do the job.

From the top you can see a metal pin in the nylon plug that has a bayonet like track the pin follows.

Back it out partially and it drains relatively slowly through about 1/4" nipple that some apparently have a hose attached. Drains much faster if you pull the entire nylon part out.

I found the only way I could reach the petcock was to remove the air box. That was simple enough, hose clamp on intake duct, and 10mm flange nut.

Having drained and flushed and drained all that will come out, it would only hold 6 quarts of coolant. Some places say 12, some say 14 quarts is the cooling system capacity. I might have a 50/50 mixture, and I might not. I used Peak low-tox propylene glycol, so the typical hydrometers calibrated for ethylene glycol are not calibrated properly.

So back to the original question, "Where is the drain?" Specifically where are the drain plugs on the block? 2001 2.2L.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Having been in there and done it yesterday, the drain plug is white nylon and has a 1/4" drive hole. A short extension on a 1/4" ratchet will open the petcock. That or a 5/16 flat blade screwdriver fits in the 1/4" diagonally and will do the job.

From the top you can see a metal pin in the nylon plug that has a bayonet like track the pin follows.

Back it out partially and it drains relatively slowly through about 1/4" nipple that some apparently have a hose attached. Drains much faster if you pull the entire nylon part out.

I found the only way I could reach the petcock was to remove the air box. That was simple enough, hose clamp on intake duct, and 10mm flange nut.

Having drained and flushed and drained all that will come out, it would only hold 6 quarts of coolant. Some places say 12, some say 14 quarts is the cooling system capacity. I might have a 50/50 mixture, and I might not. I used Peak low-tox propylene glycol, so the typical hydrometers calibrated for ethylene glycol are not calibrated properly.

So back to the original question, "Where is the drain?" Specifically where are the drain plugs on the block? 2001 2.2L.

Just pull your water pump off and replace it. when you pull the w/p all the rest of the coolant will come out of the block.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just pull your water pump off and replace it. when you pull the w/p all the rest of the coolant will come out of the block.
Sorry, I'll buy a Ford or Toyota or Dodge first.

There is a lot right with the S10/Sonoma and the 2.2L engine, but the two were clearly not made for each other.

·
Happy with ugly truck
441 Posts
My rad is cracked right where the petcok is. I didn't feel like trying my luck, I took of the hose. Also the tanks look like they're cracking too. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
BravadaX
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing