S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 1990 S10 2wd blazer frame sitting under my 1941 Willys body... I want to remove the S10 manual box & install a power steering unit (Manual steering is to hard for my wife)... I'm also installing a big block in the near future.
I located a complete set-up from an s10 2wd blazer which uses a Serpentine belt, however my 350 engine uses the old style V-Belt. Will an early v-belt P/S pulley fit onto the S10 P/S pump?

Hooters October 2019 show.jpg
Hooters October 2019 show.jpg

·
Been there Done it
7,801 Posts
Depends which S10 P/S pump you have. What year is it out of?
I think you'll also need the V-belt style engine mount for the pulleys to line up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 1990 S10 2wd blazer frame sitting under my 1941 Willys body... I want to remove the S10 manual box & install a power steering unit (Manual steering is to hard for my wife)... I'm also installing a big block in the near future.
I located a complete set-up from an s10 2wd blazer which uses a Serpentine belt, however my 350 engine uses the old style V-Belt. Will an early v-belt P/S pulley fit onto the S10 P/S pump?

View attachment 336500 View attachment 336500

·
Boozebag
9,142 Posts
Nice rig - and welcome.
You don't need to use the S10 PS pump.
You can source one from a Upull yard from a later pickup/car that still has the V belts.
The pressure side of the pump on earlier trucks/cars was not metric. The later (1985 + newer IIRC) are metric.
You can bolt the pressure/return lines right to the V8 pump.
If you really want some quick turns, source a Trans am or Z 28 box with the quick ratio gearing. It's a bolt in, all you have to do is change the pitman arm.

·
time to get cereal
2,433 Posts
a 1990 manual box uses a power steering pitman arm, no changing necessary.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You should look into going with an electric pump so you dont have to worry about a serpentine belt.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should look into going with an electric pump so you dont have to worry about a serpentine belt.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yours is to "Pretty-boy" looking, I'm "Old school"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice rig - and welcome.
You don't need to use the S10 PS pump.
You can source one from a Upull yard from a later pickup/car that still has the V belts.
The pressure side of the pump on earlier trucks/cars was not metric. The later (1985 + newer IIRC) are metric.
You can bolt the pressure/return lines right to the V8 pump.
If you really want some quick turns, source a Trans am or Z 28 box with the quick ratio gearing. It's a bolt in, all you have to do is change the pitman arm.
I ended up using a mid 70's Chevy pickup V8 pump and an early s10 steering box, I had the pressure line made up, works great!.
I could have used a Z28 or Firebird Box but I don't like a "Quick-steer feeling" on a light vehicle (2,550 pounds)
I had installed R&P steering on a 39' Ford I built years ago, I was always "Correcting" every bump, twist & turn.

·
time to get cereal
2,433 Posts
You probably had some bump steer then. My Fiesta has really quick steering, weighs about the same, and has no problem staying straight over bumps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts