S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new member here and I've been enjoying some of the forums. I'm asking for some help with a strange problem. Ok I have a 99 s10 2.2 ltr 5 speed regular cab 2wd "base" wonderful little truck with 185,000 miles in the clock. Yesterday I started it up no problem and drove about 8 miles running errands. So as I'm leaving the local Lowe's hardware store truck starts just fine role up to stop sign no problems,pull away from said sign shift into 2nd gear and she dies. Was rolling so tried 2 gear restart no luck. Pulled over to side of drive and noticed when I turned the switch on to start that was only showing battery light on dash nothing else at all. Long story shorten after some trial and errors 40 amp ign fuse blower in power control box under the hood. So thought would use 60 amp ABS fuse to get me to parts start witch worked great for about 5 seconds then it blew. It takes a lot of juice to pop that's fuse and it was so hot to the touch couldn't remove it until it cooled down. So does anyone have any suggestions an old poor boy from the south could try to fix her up and back on the road. This is my only means of transportation and I'm disabled living on a fixed income so no money to spare to take to garage. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated and hope all are having a wonderful and Happy Thanksgiving

·
Registered
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
562 Posts
Good morning. If you popped a 40A fuse, there is a major problem that needs to be corrected (my thanks to Capt. Obvious). I would suspect a bad cable that has shorted out, tripping the fuse. Check all of your battery cables, looking for bad insulation (worn/ missing/ melted, etc.), internal corrosion, or loose connections. It might not hurt to have the battery checked as well (possibly an internal short?). Secondly, never ever replace a blown fuse with a larger one for any reason. This applies to any electrical application, and not just for vehicles. Fuses are utilized as a safety component in electrical circuits to internally protect them, other electrical components & circuits, the vehicle in general, and you as well. Using a bigger fuse can, and sometimes can, result in creating more and bigger problems than the original one, and even trigger a fire which could consume a vehicle (partially or totally) and/or its occupants. If you are lucky, the overheated fuse/ cable/ circuit didn't fry anything else (like the fuse box), but don't be surprised if other electrical maladies appear.

If you are unable to, or uncomfortable with, performing proper diagnostics, randomly/ blindly poking about an electrical system could have a very bad outcome (especially on a high amp circuit). I would strongly suggest finding a qualified party to help you get the causal source identified and fixed, and be on the lookout for other problems that may be a result of the misapplied fuse. Using the bigger fuse may have compounded your issues, but only a thorough examination can determine that. Good luck, and keep us posted or your progress and results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First I'd like to clarify something in my rush to get this posted I mis spoke about the 60 amp ABS fuse what I was meaning to relay is that it also was blown but could have been for awhile since abs hasn't worked since I purchased the truck and that light had been staying on until the mishap yesterday. To ease you mind sir I know enough about electrical to not screw with it by giving it the chance to heat up even hotter and fry the hole system. I get ahead of myself when I write things down because my mind is 4 to 5 sentences ahead of my typing skills which sometimes things are spoken out of turn and jubbled with other phrases. However I appreciate the lecture on the dos and donts of vehicle electrical systems. Yes the 60 amp ABS fuse was blown and yes the 40 amp ignition fuse was blown and very hot to the touch but that 60 amp fuse was not hot or even warm. I had some idiots help themselves to my catalytic converter last night using a sawz-all they cut the exhaust right below we're it bolts to the manifold and right pass were the converter bolts to the pipe leading to the muffler. So is there any wiring in that area that I might should look at to see if could have maybe cut something. The truck started And ran for 30 mins or so after that happened very loudly but it ran fine until the stop sign. Sorry for rambling on and please understand I may not be able to say what I mean in the proper way but I'm also not an idiot hence reaching out for help here. Thank you for your time and understanding

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm not well versed on the 2.2L engine & its wiring harness/ routing, so I will defer to other members better versed on that. However, if the banditos were on a snatch & grab 'mission' for your converter, and equipped with a Sawzall, I could only blindly speculate on what collateral damage they may have inflicted (so I won't).

The ABS unit on S10's was known to have problems (often internally failed solder joints) which may explain its non functional status. Sometimes it can be disassembled and the faulty joints identified and re-soldered, but sometimes it just needs to be a wholesale replacement of the unit. I can't (remotely) tell you specifically what ails your unit. Is there any chance you can take pictures of the engine compartment and the area where your converter used to be, and post them here on the thread? Photos can be really helpful for the members to reference while trying to assist with your inquiries.

Also, it is really helpful when posting to provide all of the relevant information that you are aware of regarding an issue. When some thing (or things) is omitted, it can result in members pursuing an incorrect line of diagnostics and/or suggestions/ solutions. That can lead to frustration and/ or aggravation by the involved parties, and trying to chase down the wrong issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on blown ignition fuse. Turns out the thieves in their hast to get away quickly nicked the hot wire going to the starter from the ignition switch or they pulled it somehow either way it had a bare spot open against the frame which was causing it to short out and blow the fuse as soon as I turned the switch on. Only took 4 fuses at a cost of 5 bucks a piece to figure out where the arc sound came from, and just for reference purpose that fuse also controls all of the instrument cluster except for the battery light gauges included because it kills the signal that the ignition switch is in the on position. Also replaced the 60amp abs fuse. Light went out and abs as well as everything else is working fine once I replaced the damaged hot wire. Yeah I could have taped it up but I felt it best to replace it. Thanks for all the comments and responses to help. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and may all have a Merry Christmas

·
Been there Done it
12,767 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed.
Thanks for letting us know what worked. It could help someone down the road who has a similar issue.

Reactions: aitch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sorry for my lack of knowing how or what to post in my first ever (and now last) post. I was just trying to get a answer to what I felt was a weird issue on my truck. Once again I do apologize.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
S-10 Forum banner
S-10 Forum

Bullet93

Confused
TagsNone

Jump to LatestUnfollow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

[IMG alt="Bullet93"]https://www.s10forum.com/d1/avatars/m/437/437895.jpg?1637064006[/IMG]
Bullet93
·Registered
Joined 2 mo ago
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · 3 d ago

Hi all new member here and I've been enjoying some of the forums. I'm asking for some help with a strange problem. Ok I have a 99 s10 2.2 ltr 5 speed regular cab 2wd "base" wonderful little truck with 185,000 miles in the clock. Yesterday I started it up no problem and drove about 8 miles running errands. So as I'm leaving the local Lowe's hardware store truck starts just fine role up to stop sign no problems,pull away from said sign shift into 2nd gear and she dies. Was rolling so tried 2 gear restart no luck. Pulled over to side of drive and noticed when I turned the switch on to start that was only showing battery light on dash nothing else at all. Long story shorten after some trial and errors 40 amp ign fuse blower in power control box under the hood. So thought would use 60 amp ABS fuse to get me to parts start witch worked great for about 5 seconds then it blew. It takes a lot of juice to pop that's fuse and it was so hot to the touch couldn't remove it until it cooled down. So does anyone have any suggestions an old poor boy from the south could try to fix her up and back on the road. This is my only means of transportation and I'm disabled living on a fixed income so no money to spare to take to garage. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated and hope all are having a wonderful and Happy Thanksgiving

Reply Quote

A
aitch
·Registered
Joined 11 mo ago
·
560 Posts
#2 · 3 d ago

Good morning. If you popped a 40A fuse, there is a major problem that needs to be corrected (my thanks to Capt. Obvious). I would suspect a bad cable that has shorted out, tripping the fuse. Check all of your battery cables, looking for bad insulation (worn/ missing/ melted, etc.), internal corrosion, or loose connections. It might not hurt to have the battery checked as well (possibly an internal short?). Secondly, never ever replace a blown fuse with a larger one for any reason. This applies to any electrical application, and not just for vehicles. Fuses are utilized as a safety component in electrical circuits to internally protect them, other electrical components & circuits, the vehicle in general, and you as well. Using a bigger fuse can, and sometimes can, result in creating more and bigger problems than the original one, and even trigger a fire which could consume a vehicle (partially or totally) and/or its occupants. If you are lucky, the overheated fuse/ cable/ circuit didn't fry anything else (like the fuse box), but don't be surprised if other electrical maladies appear.

If you are unable to, or uncomfortable with, performing proper diagnostics, randomly/ blindly poking about an electrical system could have a very bad outcome (especially on a high amp circuit). I would strongly suggest finding a qualified party to help you get the causal source identified and fixed, and be on the lookout for other problems that may be a result of the misapplied fuse. Using the bigger fuse may have compounded your issues, but only a thorough examination can determine that. Good luck, and keep us posted or your progress and results.

Reply Quote
[IMG alt="Bullet93"]https://www.s10forum.com/d1/avatars/m/437/437895.jpg?1637064006[/IMG]
Bullet93
·Registered
Joined 2 mo ago
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · 3 d ago

First I'd like to clarify something in my rush to get this posted I mis spoke about the 60 amp ABS fuse what I was meaning to relay is that it also was blown but could have been for awhile since abs hasn't worked since I purchased the truck and that light had been staying on until the mishap yesterday. To ease you mind sir I know enough about electrical to not screw with it by giving it the chance to heat up even hotter and fry the hole system. I get ahead of myself when I write things down because my mind is 4 to 5 sentences ahead of my typing skills which sometimes things are spoken out of turn and jubbled with other phrases. However I appreciate the lecture on the dos and donts of vehicle electrical systems. Yes the 60 amp ABS fuse was blown and yes the 40 amp ignition fuse was blown and very hot to the touch but that 60 amp fuse was not hot or even warm. I had some idiots help themselves to my catalytic converter last night using a sawz-all they cut the exhaust right below we're it bolts to the manifold and right pass were the converter bolts to the pipe leading to the muffler. So is there any wiring in that area that I might should look at to see if could have maybe cut something. The truck started And ran for 30 mins or so after that happened very loudly but it ran fine until the stop sign. Sorry for rambling on and please understand I may not be able to say what I mean in the proper way but I'm also not an idiot hence reaching out for help here. Thank you for your time and understanding

Reply Quote

A
aitch
·Registered
Joined 11 mo ago
·
560 Posts
#4 · 3 d ago

I'm not well versed on the 2.2L engine & its wiring harness/ routing, so I will defer to other members better versed on that. However, if the banditos were on a snatch & grab 'mission' for your converter, and equipped with a Sawzall, I could only blindly speculate on what collateral damage they may have inflicted (so I won't).

The ABS unit on S10's was known to have problems (often internally failed solder joints) which may explain its non functional status. Sometimes it can be disassembled and the faulty joints identified and re-soldered, but sometimes it just needs to be a wholesale replacement of the unit. I can't (remotely) tell you specifically what ails your unit. Is there any chance you can take pictures of the engine compartment and the area where your converter used to be, and post them here on the thread? Photos can be really helpful for the members to reference while trying to assist with your inquiries.

Also, it is really helpful when posting to provide all of the relevant information that you are aware of regarding an issue. When some thing (or things) is omitted, it can result in members pursuing an incorrect line of diagnostics and/or suggestions/ solutions. That can lead to frustration and/ or aggravation by the involved parties, and trying to chase down the wrong issue.

Reply Quote

Bullet93
·Registered
Joined 2 mo ago
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · 5 h ago

Update on blown ignition fuse. Turns out the thieves in their hast to get away quickly nicked the hot wire going to the starter from the ignition switch or they pulled it somehow either way it had a bare spot open against the frame which was causing it to short out and blow the fuse as soon as I turned the switch on. Only took 4 fuses at a cost of 5 bucks a piece to figure out where the arc sound came from, and just for reference purpose that fuse also controls all of the instrument cluster except for the battery light gauges included because it kills the signal that the ignition switch is in the on position. Also replaced the 60amp abs fuse. Light went out and abs as well as everything else is working fine once I replaced the damaged hot wire. Yeah I could have taped it up but I felt it best to replace it. Thanks for all the comments and responses to help. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and may all have a Merry Christmas

Reply Quote

[IMG alt="oldeerslayer"]https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/a7da01d2d16e2320c0b358a255680dfe?s=96[/IMG]
oldeerslayer
·Been there Done it
Joined Jan 14, 2015
·
12,754 Posts
#6 · 5 h ago

Glad to hear you got it fixe
Reactions:aitch
Reply Quote
A
aitch
·Registered
Joined 11 mo ago
·
560 Posts
#7 · 5 h ago

oldeerslayer said:
Glad to hear you got it fixed.
Thanks for letting us know what worked. It could help someone down the road who has a similar issue.
And Ditto that.

Reply Quote
Bullet93
·Registered
Joined 2 mo ago
·
4 Posts
I'd like to apologize for my lack of knowing how to or what to put in a post. Seems I may have upset some people. This was my first time posting anything. All I was trying to do was get some help with an issue that just seemed odd to me. I assure you sir it will be my last for I guess I'm not educated enough to know how to do something for the first time without any instructions or a guideline to go by. So I do apologize and I'm grown up enough to know when to keep my [email protected]+n mouth shut. So in closing I will remove this post and delete my membership and I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time0
Remove formatting

BoldItalicUnderline

Text colorFont size

AttachmentInsert linkInsert imageGallery embedSmiliesInsert

AlignmentListInsert table

UndoRedo

Toggle BB code
Preview
I'd like to apologize for my lack of knowing how to or what to put in a post. Seems I may have upset some people. This was my first time posting anything. All I was trying to do was get some help with an issue that just seemed odd to me. I assure you sir it will be my last for I guess I'm not educated enough to know how to do something for the first time without any instructions or a guideline to go by. So I do apologize and I'm grown up enough to know when to keep my [email protected]+n mouth shut. So in closing I will remove this post and delete my membership and I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time

·
Been there Done it
12,767 Posts
Not sure what's happening here. The thread appears on my PC all messed up. 2 of us said thanks for telling us what happened and now he seems offended???

·
Registered
2001 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4, 4.3L automatic
61 Posts
I’m lost too.

Didn’t see it as a waste of time at all. Things were scrambled on my phone as well.

The Sonnax site was all jacked up last night as well. I blame Zuckerberg! Probably not his fault, but I’ll blame him anyway. 😝

·
Registered
562 Posts
Not sure what's happening here. The thread appears on my PC all messed up. 2 of us said thanks for telling us what happened and now he seems offended???
I too am puzzled, but, we don't/ can't determine how someone else interprets things. Ditto on the scrambled post (on my PC). As for myself, was certainly not "upset".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts